ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Music Man Big Al
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Billy3000
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 3033
Location: Atlanta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProcessedMeatMan wrote:
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
There's something about bass players. Despite being the lynchpin about which the group smoothly spins - if they have it in them - and despite there being plenty of fine-looking 'classic' basses available to suit pretty much any budget, the bass player who fancies himself rotten always seems to gravitate towards the most hideously ill-conceived, malformed monstrosities humanity ever dreamt up.


After having spent quite a bit of time lurking on TalkBass, I'd have to agree.


I think that really only applies to the douchebags at talkbass though, not to the majority of bass players. You don't see as many of these hideously ugly things among actual professional bands. Most people that aren't just the bass versions of blues lawyers stick to the classic designs.

I love the look of Stingrays, but for some reason all their other current basses are ugly. I remember liking the sound of the bongo when I played one way back when they first came out, but I hated the way that they looked. I still do.

I sold my stingray last year to buy my Rickenbacker 4003, and until a couple months ago I didn't miss it, then I went into the studio to do some quick recordings in december. I used the producer's stingray because I wouldn't have to set up and EQ my basses for his DI, it was already set up for the stingray. I used it and pretty quickly realized everything that I loved about the stingray, it is probably the best designed bass ever. It just sits perfectly on me, so it's not uncomfortable at all during hours of playing standing up, even though most of them are heavy as hell. I still prefer the tone of my p bass and my rickenbacker over the stingray, but I was able to get a pretty close tone to the p bass out of the stingray by just rolling back on the mid knob. It's super easy for recording with the onboard preamp, and it just feels perfect. I really want another stingray now!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Josh
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 4624
Location: George

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
nyck wrote:
This is the truth. I think a lot of ugly basses get their ugliness from having an overly long and thin upper horn to help balance out the neck when standing. Of course, Fender basses have perfectly proportionate upper horns and balance perfectly, so there's no excuse.

No they don't Razz
My Jazz Bass and old Precision copy are both neck heavy. I just use grippy cloth straps to counter the dive.

what kind of copy was it? i had a squier vm p-bass and it never had any neck dive problems. jazz bass i can't speak for since i never really owned one/used one standing up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
UlricvonCatalyst
.
.


Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 767

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy3000 wrote:
You don't see as many of these hideously ugly things among actual professional bands. Most people that aren't just the bass versions of blues lawyers stick to the classic designs.

Au contraire....though I guess my version of hideously ugly may well vary from yours. I was actually thinking of - just as a f'rinstance - the contrast between Andy Rourke's choice of bass seen in the gatefold sleeve of Hatful of Hollow and every guitar played by Johnny Marr then and now. The prevalence of fuckin' fugly as fuck Warwick basses amongst bassists who have arrived is another case in point.

Watch any episode of Later with Jools and check out what the session-dood bassists are playing (NOT real band members - I mean those shit-hot, sight-reading, pro-bass guys who hate the fact they aren't allowed to slap and pop their way through every lame song this shitty 'artist' they have to back up to make a living plays; those guys pick hideous, headless, mis-shapen atrocities every time over a Fender or Rickenbacker cuz this axe totally nails [their] signature tone).

I stand by my original assertion: they're a breed apart, guys who play bass (as opposed to guitarists who switch to bass reluctantly or otherwise).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ProcessedMeatMan
.
.


Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 3022
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy3000 wrote:
ProcessedMeatMan wrote:
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
There's something about bass players. Despite being the lynchpin about which the group smoothly spins - if they have it in them - and despite there being plenty of fine-looking 'classic' basses available to suit pretty much any budget, the bass player who fancies himself rotten always seems to gravitate towards the most hideously ill-conceived, malformed monstrosities humanity ever dreamt up.


After having spent quite a bit of time lurking on TalkBass, I'd have to agree.


I think that really only applies to the douchebags at talkbass though, not to the majority of bass players. You don't see as many of these hideously ugly things among actual professional bands. Most people that aren't just the bass versions of blues lawyers stick to the classic designs.


The phrase "fancy themselves rotten" stuck out to me. There are a lot of arrogant, snobby, douchebaggy bass players on TalkBass.
_________________
ProcessedMeatMan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Billy3000
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 3033
Location: Atlanta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:
You don't see as many of these hideously ugly things among actual professional bands. Most people that aren't just the bass versions of blues lawyers stick to the classic designs.

Au contraire....though I guess my version of hideously ugly may well vary from yours. I was actually thinking of - just as a f'rinstance - the contrast between Andy Rourke's choice of bass seen in the gatefold sleeve of Hatful of Hollow and every guitar played by Johnny Marr then and now. The prevalence of fuckin' fugly as fuck Warwick basses amongst bassists who have arrived is another case in point.

Watch any episode of Later with Jools and check out what the session-dood bassists are playing (NOT real band members - I mean those shit-hot, sight-reading, pro-bass guys who hate the fact they aren't allowed to slap and pop their way through every lame song this shitty 'artist' they have to back up to make a living plays; those guys pick hideous, headless, mis-shapen atrocities every time over a Fender or Rickenbacker cuz this axe totally nails [their] signature tone).

I stand by my original assertion: they're a breed apart, guys who play bass (as opposed to guitarists who switch to bass reluctantly or otherwise).


Session bassists are different from what I was saying though. I meant actual band members, you don't see them playing these ugly warwicks or coffee table basses. I will give you that, when I see the bands backing up various pop artists, they do often play those, but session bassists are much more on the same level as the douchebags on talkbass. Same as with guitarists, You also see a lot of those session guitarists playing blues lawyer guitars, whereas most of the time actual band members play classic Fenders or gibsons, the session guitarists more often play some stupid fender knock off with a flame top for extra hot blooz lawyer riffs!

I will say that there does seem to be more of an abundance of ugly basses and ugly bass amps, than for guitar though. This is fairly apparent by walking into any guitar center, most of the guitar section is comprised of pretty classic designs, the fenders, the gibsons, and then the ibanezes for the metal guys. But the bass section is about half and half, fender/musicman/a few gibson classic design basses, and then ugly ass warwick/whatever gross basses. This seems to be more apparent with the amps too. I don't know what it is about companies designing bass amps. Guitar amps are all pretty nice, clean, classic looking, tolex covered and with grill cloth covering the speakers. But then you look at the bass amps, and other than Ampeg, Orange, and Mesa, the majority of the bass amps are covered in that disgusting looking rat fur instead of tolex, and instead of grill cloth they have crappy metal fencing looking material.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
.
.


Joined: 10 Nov 2009
Posts: 2887
Location: Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProcessedMeatMan wrote:
There are a lot of arrogant, snobby, douchebaggy bass players on TalkBass.

As a bass player, I won't go to TalkBass... it's just so full of bullshit.
_________________
ekwatts wrote:
That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.


Donate to Ankhanu Press
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
.
.


Joined: 10 Nov 2009
Posts: 2887
Location: Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
nyck wrote:
This is the truth. I think a lot of ugly basses get their ugliness from having an overly long and thin upper horn to help balance out the neck when standing. Of course, Fender basses have perfectly proportionate upper horns and balance perfectly, so there's no excuse.

No they don't Razz
My Jazz Bass and old Precision copy are both neck heavy. I just use grippy cloth straps to counter the dive.

what kind of copy was it? i had a squier vm p-bass and it never had any neck dive problems. jazz bass i can't speak for since i never really owned one/used one standing up.


It was a Profile branded P-bass; my first bass Smile (it's now been converted to fretless with a Yamaha neck). The body wasn't notably light on it, however, it was pretty much as standard a P-bass as you might come across; played quite good for a cheap bass too!
The Jazz is a Fender Aerodyne; and I do recognize that the basswood body might contribute to the dive/balance. In general, I think the larger lower bout on the Jazz Bass tends to counter the neck nicely.

With a heavy enough body, yeah, there'd likely be no dive, but with a light body, there is.
_________________
ekwatts wrote:
That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.


Donate to Ankhanu Press
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy3000
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 3033
Location: Atlanta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
ProcessedMeatMan wrote:
There are a lot of arrogant, snobby, douchebaggy bass players on TalkBass.

As a bass player, I won't go to TalkBass... it's just so full of bullshit.


Agreed. I can't stand it there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
ProcessedMeatMan
.
.


Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 3022
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind certain sections. I've learned some useful technical stuff there. I also got a sweet deal on a used Stingray5 in the classifieds. I tend to avoid the snobbery when it pops up.
_________________
ProcessedMeatMan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nyck
.
.


Joined: 03 May 2011
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talkbass is like 50/50 between 6 string coffee tablers and old dude bar banders whose answer to all of life's questions is a P-bass with flats (just like the motown dude!) that provides a sound thats inaudible enough so that their ego cant be heard over their weekend warrior cover of "Mississippi Queen"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BoringPostcards
.
.


Joined: 30 Jul 2009
Posts: 1424
Location: Newfoundland

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nyck"]Talkbass is like 50/50 between 6 string coffee tablers and old dude bar banders whose answer to all of life's questions is a P-bass with flats (just like the motown dude!) that provides a sound thats inaudible enough so that their ego cant be heard over their weekend warrior cover of "Mississippi Queen"[/quote

Lots of forums are like this. I've noticed that many of them aren't even good musicians. Some of them have been playing their whole lives and sound like they started two weeks ago. Yet, they know everything there is to know about TONE.
_________________
Det er mig der holder trĉerne sammen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ankhanu
.
.


Joined: 10 Nov 2009
Posts: 2887
Location: Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZenJenga wrote:
Lots of forums are like this. I've noticed that many of them aren't even good musicians. Some of them have been playing their whole lives and sound like they started two weeks ago. Yet, they know everything there is to know about TONE.

Meh, this isn't unlike me... though I don't know everything about tone Razz Been playing since about '94, still can't play for shit.
_________________
ekwatts wrote:
That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.


Donate to Ankhanu Press
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
UlricvonCatalyst
.
.


Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 767

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
ZenJenga wrote:
Lots of forums are like this. I've noticed that many of them aren't even good musicians. Some of them have been playing their whole lives and sound like they started two weeks ago. Yet, they know everything there is to know about TONE.

Meh, this isn't unlike me... though I don't know everything about tone Razz Been playing since about '94, still can't play for shit.

I'll see your '94 and raise you a "been playing since '79 and really ought to be much better than I am".

So is the goal of playing an instrument to get really good at it? I mostly play guitar to accompany myself singing songs or just for something to do that's enjoyable or will help someone else's musical project.

I honestly didn't give much thought to tone till I started posting on guitar forums about two years ago. I pretty much just thought either 'that sounds good' or 'that sounds horrible', now I occasionally wonder if I've been underthinking this important question all these years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB İ 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 631257 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!