ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Garage Rockabilly Demos [Recording Notes]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloan
Sexy Predator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Garage Rockabilly Demos [Recording Notes] Reply with quote

Did these demos recently for some pals project. Thought you guys would enjoy details etc...

Gretsch Mini Mod Black Widow Drumset
Kick - No hole - Audix D6 on center of resonant head
Snare - moongel - Electrovoice BK-1
Overheads - MXL 603s (x2)

I wanted to go with a very simple setup, but regret not mic'ing the toms for this.

Import Gretsch Guitar
Some amp related to a Champ or a modded Champ or Deluxe or something, pretty much always cranked
Parker 4x12 with Celestion Gt1275's - i hate those speakers, but so be it.
Reverb, delay, overdriver, whatever other shit courtesy of that big Line 6 pedalboard.
SM57 & Nady RSM-2 on guitar cab. RSM-2 is the bulk of the guitar sound.

Bass Guitar
I used a Korean Aria Pro II bass that I bought a few months ago for $100 in a pinch cause of a bridge situation on my Fernandes Jazz bass. The strings are rusty, but I wanted a dull sound for this project and i like the way it turned out. DI'd and saturated with something ITB.

Vocals
For the final vocals takes I used another Nady RSM-2, cut lows, cut highs, smashed the fuck out of it, and cooked it with distortion/saturation. Delay and Reverb to taste. The base tracks were pretty lofi already and I didn't want the vocal sticking out too much.

Additonal Information
This was done over the course of two days in a few hours and I really enjoyed just getting back to tracking people live. These are not the best musicians in the world, but I am happy with how it turned out, I really like the imperfections. The only stereo element is the overheads and reverbs, everything else is mono, which i think suits the sound going on here. I think I used some sort of saturation on every track. The thing that most bothers me is the cymbals, I feel they are too cutting, but that has a lot to do with the player and the mics used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: