ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Single coil sized humbuckers fit under Mustang pickup cover?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
othomas2
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 4026
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Single coil sized humbuckers fit under Mustang pickup cover? Reply with quote

Will the old style Seymour Duncan single coil sized humbukers fit underneath a Mustang pickup cover?

If not, any suggestions ?

I've heard varying stories that they do & don't so just need a definitive answer on this.

Would be nice to keep the original aesthetic if possible. Lookin' at the Cool Rails which I really like.

thanks
Owen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mages
súper crujiente


Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 7439
Location: MD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a generic rail humbucker off of eBay that I got to fit under a mustang cover after filing the corners just a little bit. hint: you have to use true mustang covers. the other hole-less strat covers are actually a bit smaller and won't fit a humbucker.
_________________
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 45796
Location: PORNO ISLAND !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stuffed this



into here




i know cowbell did the same thing with a JB JR.

you just gotta pop the old cover off using MANLAND STRENGTH. and then jam all the guts under the mustang pickup. its not a perfect fit but it works once you get it all screwed down
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
othomas2
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 4026
Location: London

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that's great to know thanks.

Now I just don't know whether to go for old or new style Seymour Duncan... hmmmmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 45796
Location: PORNO ISLAND !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that white duckbucker cover is now tied to a string and functions as the lightswitch pull in my workshop
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnnyTheBoy
.
.


Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 539
Location: Middle England

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the duckbuckers like compared to say a hot rail?..do the separate poles make much of a difference over a full length rail?...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9169

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

othomas2 wrote:

Now I just don't know whether to go for old or new style Seymour Duncan... hmmmmm...


Old. Saves you the trouble of getting the cover off.



I used one in my Jag in '98 so I wouldn't have to route for a hotrail's stratocaster baseplate. They've since changed both pickups' designs to use the same cover.


_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
othomas2
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 4026
Location: London

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wondered what was smaller oeverall.... it sound like robroe had more difficulty fitting old style rail without a cover than the new style with cover taken off.

Here's his recent attempts at fitting old style SD into mustang cover:

Sound like more effort than his suggestions above. Either way it's do-able...


Link



Link
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mages
súper crujiente


Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 7439
Location: MD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

othomas2 wrote:
I just wondered what was smaller oeverall.... it sound like robroe had more difficulty fitting old style rail without a cover than the new style with cover taken off.

yeah good point. I would guess that the pickup with cover removed is probably smaller underneath than the one with no cover.
_________________
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9169

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't considered they were actually different under the cover, my bad. The old school ones had considerable gaps in a strat pickguard which was why I figured they put the cover on, but now that I look at it the polepiece-to-edge spacing on the top looks the same so they probably redesigned it to be the same size as a Strat pickup.
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
othomas2
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 4026
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way I think it might be better anyways going for the old style so at least you're not messing with the pickup, but only the cover, and you could always sell it on if need be.

I imagine under neath the newer SD there will be no ribbon and so on... but I dunno.

Perhaps robroe can chime in again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mages
súper crujiente


Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 7439
Location: MD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there's no ribbon around strat pickups. they only have the cover.
_________________
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Doog
can i get uhhh


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 19597
Location: London

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was researching this as I'm gonna be doing just this on the Epiphone Les Paul SL when it comes in; good ol' Google bringing me right back home Very Happy

Looks like I need to find one of those oldass JB JRs then... of course, loads of stores just use stock photography, so it's impossible to tell what version they're actually selling, probs gonna need to wait til a used one pops-up, or just Dremel the fuck out of some random pickup ala Prof. Roe up there
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Noirie.
YOUTH


Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 4595

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try an Artec hotrails.
_________________
robroe wrote:
fuck this shit. the guy with the guitar thinks he's in red hot chilli peppers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 21142
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
Was researching this as I'm gonna be doing just this on the Epiphone Les Paul SL when it comes in; good ol' Google bringing me right back home Very Happy

Looks like I need to find one of those oldass JB JRs then... of course, loads of stores just use stock photography, so it's impossible to tell what version they're actually selling, probs gonna need to wait til a used one pops-up, or just Dremel the fuck out of some random pickup ala Prof. Roe up there

I've got a Dimarzio doing nothing Doog. It's essentially a single coil but noiseless, I think it's either a HS-2 or FS-1. Used by Johnny Ramone in his Mosrite, think Malmstain used a HS-2.
I can check if you want?
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
Stop fucking about and get an SD-1

robroe wrote:
I got a stomach ache. Anyone got any heroin? Or like a gun or something?

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 45796
Location: PORNO ISLAND !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

othomas2 wrote:
I just wondered what was smaller oeverall.... it sound like robroe had more difficulty fitting old style rail without a cover than the new style with cover taken off.

Here's his recent attempts at fitting old style SD into mustang cover:

Sound like more effort than his suggestions above. Either way it's do-able...


Link



Link




sorry it took me a month to respond.


more effort ? that video is 56 seconds long. if you cant spend 56 seconds extra doing something then dont' ever get married.
_________________
ekwatts wrote:
cunts


fran wrote:
cunts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 45796
Location: PORNO ISLAND !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im watching this and 4 seconds into the second video i get this look in my eyes.....


im pretty sure im drunk as fuck in that video. like i cant even focus on that shit. hahahahahahahahah


if i can do it comepletely fucking knackerd in 56 seconds....YOU CAN DO THIS
_________________
ekwatts wrote:
cunts


fran wrote:
cunts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 45796
Location: PORNO ISLAND !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN THIS INSTALMENT AL JUST FOCUS'S ON MY PINK TOES THRU THE WHOLE FUCKIN THING WHILE MY WIZARDRY WITH WIRE SNIPPERS ACT AS A POLARITY TESTER


Link

_________________
ekwatts wrote:
cunts


fran wrote:
cunts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 45796
Location: PORNO ISLAND !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

half way into this video i do an demo of whats left of my duckbucker cover light pull


Link

_________________
ekwatts wrote:
cunts


fran wrote:
cunts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
can i get uhhh


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 19597
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
Doog wrote:
Was researching this as I'm gonna be doing just this on the Epiphone Les Paul SL when it comes in; good ol' Google bringing me right back home Very Happy

Looks like I need to find one of those oldass JB JRs then... of course, loads of stores just use stock photography, so it's impossible to tell what version they're actually selling, probs gonna need to wait til a used one pops-up, or just Dremel the fuck out of some random pickup ala Prof. Roe up there

I've got a Dimarzio doing nothing Doog. It's essentially a single coil but noiseless, I think it's either a HS-2 or FS-1. Used by Johnny Ramone in his Mosrite, think Malmstain used a HS-2.
I can check if you want?


Very kind mate, but I *actually* want a humbucker-sounding humbucker for the Epiphone

Noirie. wrote:
you could try an Artec hotrails.

Yeah, I'm eyeballing one (not Artec but money on it being made in the same place) on CH Guitars as they're cheap-as and don't appear to have the big outer case like the new JB Jrs do, so I could probably bully it until fitting into a Mustang-y cover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 631256 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!