ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Kudos, creative percussionists

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Kudos, creative percussionists Reply with quote

Rick Holmstrom is one of our best Bluesmen just now breaking out as a solo performer. Or just now getting some recognition for his songwriting and solo performing. He has a strong sense for the roots and it's most obvious in his tone. Then ya notice it in his rhythm.

Today I got a new Holmstrom hook in me. His drummer on "These Roads" (first track on Hydraulic Groove) does an interesting variation on what I think is technically called a shuffle...I don't really know music in any technical sense so correct me if I'm using the term wrong...but subtly the drummer seems to do a brief roll ending in a bass drumbeat, repeatedly.

And then at about 2:35 the drummer, I think it's his percussion and not electronic, begins to do a sharp pinging sound. It fits in a startling way. http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/son...om+These+Roads

Our percussionists don't get the kudos they deserve, so just thought I'd highlight this example of understated, creative percussion and shine some light on ya, sittin & working hard at the back of it all.

Cheers,
DanHeron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love playing drums but my only interest in drummers is those who do stuff a bit different/intersting. A normal 4/4 rock beat doesn't really interest me at all.

I love the drummer in Maps & Atlases. Incredibly tight and interesting beats.
Skip to 00:55 for when the beat kicks in... pretty cool:

Link

Also I always thought the original drummer from Abe Vigoda was cool. Apparently he didn't know how to play drums when they started the band and I think that kind of shows. Not because he is bad but his stuff is quite unconventional I guess:

Link
Doug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Good drms Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan. Good bands. Good drummers.

Any idea what guitars are in the Abe Vagoda vid...one on the left looks like a Blacktop or Pawnshop Series Tele maybe?

Cheers,
avj
A Select Individual

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Good drms Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
Thanks, Dan. Good bands. Good drummers.

Any idea what guitars are in the Abe Vagoda vid...one on the left looks like a Blacktop or Pawnshop Series Tele maybe?

Cheers,

Left dude is playing a Squier Tele Custom, which is differentiated from the Fender Tele Custom versions because it has a traditional Telecaster headstock. You can also see the Squier logo.

Singer dude is playing an Ibanez Talman TC360, which I only know because Tom Morello has custom one.

Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta give a shout out to the junkcussionist from Skeleton Key:

Link

Link

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Ouuu! Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
Gotta give a shout out to the junkcussionist from Skeleton Key:

Shoutin out with ya, Doog! ...Very Happy Twisted Evil Cool... They hot! Thanks. London-based?

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Musical Miscellany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: