ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

65 Musicmaster and VM Jag neck swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: 65 Musicmaster and VM Jag neck swap Reply with quote

After a successful neck transplant on my Tele, I thought I would swap these two over.

I've had the Musicmaster, a 1965 model, for a while, but it doesn't get a lot of use - its good, but my Mustang is better. The body has been messed about with, refinishing and routing, but the neck is original.

I picked up a VM Jag from Gusman at the weekend - I traded my CV duo away for it, and I thought I might try it with the Musicmaster neck.

It was a very simple swap, I took the opportunity to adjust the Fender trem that Gusman had added so the arm stays in properly, adjust the bridge (still not the greatest) and add a Fender neck plate.

So now I have half a vintage Jag and half a vintage Musicmaster. Kind of.

The swap suits both guitars, the Musicmaster plays a lot like a Jap Mustang, and the neck on the Jag looks and feels great.

Pics below, including one of all three

Last edited by NickD on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Noirie.
YOUTH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. How would you describe the feel of the VM Jaguar neck? I've read that some people either find them to thin or thick.
NickD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to the J Mascis Jazzmaster and the Musicmaster neck that were handy, I would say it is fairly thin, and reasonably wide - certainly wider and thinner than the vintage neck. It's nice to play though.
JordanD
Osama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you not get any issues with screw alignment? I tried to switch the neck on old VM Mustang with a Jag-Stang neck and the mounting holes were way off and the neck pocket super right. Glad it worked out for you though!
NickD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 65 neck onto the Jag is snug in the neck picket, but not super tight, the screws went in really easily. The VM neck onto the Musicmaster fits the pocket fine, the screws were tight, but not stupidly so - the difference is probably down to the age of the wood and how many times each neck has been off - I suspect the squier neck has only been off once before. The VM neck doesnt quite sit flush to the body on the treble side screw closest to the neck, but it's no more than 1mm and it is stable otherwise, I've checked it doesn't move in any direction - it would be 5 minuites with a sander to get it to sit perfectly, but I don't wand to permenantly modify either the body or the neck - the action is even across the strings and I've seen worse neck pocket fitment on 70s Fenders!

The baritone neck that I put on my Tele, that was tight to get on, but fine once it was on there
gusman2x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, glad it's turned into two playable guitars!

I really liked the neck on the Jag. I think it's one of their selling points for sure. I prefer skinny over chunky, and the VM neck is a great balance (erring on the side of skinny).
singlepup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the VM Jag neck:

Thicker than the VM JM but perhaps thinner than the JM JM. Certainly thinner (and more playable IMO) than the AVRI Jag.

Overall one of the most comfortable short scale necks I've played.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: