ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Any tips on getting a brittle finish?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hugh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Any tips on getting a brittle finish? Reply with quote

I've got a dopey idea for a project. Want to reshape my first bass (bought 15 years ago?) into something more offset/jag-like. Headstock would be a biatch to reshape, but I always though that it looked cool. The body is hella late 90s new metal. That top horn is too long for my tastes. Wanna get the pickups going to separate channels and do some guitar amp/bass amp/separate effects chains tomfoolery.

Anyways, I want to get a couple of coats of paint on there in contrasting colours, the topcoat being a bit brittle. Not looking to do the relic with a screwdriver thing, just want something that will take dings and bumps well. Fuck it, maybe get a whole rainbow of coats on the mofo, that'd look sweet.

What should I do? Get each coat to a high gloss so that the next layer doesn't adhere to it as well? Put a layer of wax/some sort of soft finish between coats so the paint is on a malleable foundation?
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know, but an alternative is crackle paints. You put on a coat of , let dry, and then a second colour that reacts and dries with cracks. A friend did it to a guitar, and I believe they are a certain brand. She called them Crackle paints, so gooogle that!

iCEByTes wrote:
Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
hugh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. From what I can tell you can get a crackle effect by putting a layer of glue between coats of paint, or use some crackle specific solution. Not quite the look I'm going for. I'm hoping to get a finish that ages super quick to reveal the lower layers.
NickD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't prep the original surface very well the paint won't adhere properly, that may get the effect you are after, but TBH just paint it properly with nitro and then bash it about a bit, that way it will look natural.
JohnnyTheBoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this Polyvine stuff on my tv cabinet with good results..

Instructions

Hope that helps!

Tv cabinet..well, DVD player etc...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea if this would work- but what about painting the body normally and then put it in a freezer for a few hours- then throw it in an oven at 200 degrees or so.
paul_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jculpjr wrote:
No idea if this would work- but what about painting the body normally and then put it in a freezer for a few hours- then throw it in an oven at 200 degrees or so.

This tends to exacerbate a non-vintage looking checking in the clear, I don't know if it would get him the worn down contrasting colour patches he's after. Would definitely remind one of the word "brittle" though.

I'm with nick; use re-ranch nitro which doesn't have a load of polymers in it, don't use sanding sealer on the wood, etc... and then take the bass everywhere without a case.

Alternatively you could just spray it with two colours in light coats of cheap spray paint literally taking no other steps. That's not gonna hold up and it'll rub off rather than flake in certain places. That might not go fast though, it's hard to know what specific brands do until you've sprayed stuff with them.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
h8mtv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I've done it.

Heat the finish with a heat gun, then spray it with canned air until frosty shit spews out. Crackle goodness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: