ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Remove Finish From Acoustic For Better Sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cymbaline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Remove Finish From Acoustic For Better Sound Reply with quote

So I recently got an acoustic that is "open-pore", one of those all mahogany Ibanezes. It sounds better than any of my other guitars. Now I am thinking about sanding the finish off of all of them to open up the sound. Don't wanna use heat or chemicals for fear of popping the seams apart.

CRAZY TALK?
I am sure the guitars would sound significantly better without the coating. Anyone done this before?
sunshiner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that Open Pore is just a trendy name of the satin finish like you can see on Squier Affinity necks. When you want to finish mahogany to have a flat surface you have to use some grain filler - Open Pore means the satin finish without grain filler, there is no magic imo. The mojo is in full mahogany construction I guess, it gives warm round tone. My opinion, it is a bad idea to strip down the finish of your other guitars.

I tried mahogany Vintage V300 that looks almost identically to your Ibanez and Sigma S000M-15, they both had the same tone to my ears and I guess they were made at the same factory, maybe as well as your Ibanez. To be honest I prefer brighter sound of the acoustics with spruce top.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your guitar will be much more sensitive to changes in humidity and prone to warping with no finish at all. Mojo arrows be damned.
George

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Mojo arrows be damned.
Cymbaline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshiner wrote:
I'm afraid that Open Pore is just a trendy name of the satin finish like you can see on Squier Affinity necks.

Curious, it does say "satin finish" on the neck, but the body is listed as "open-pore".
Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just means the pores aren't filled, which IMO, does have an effect. I didn't use pore filler on my ash-bodied Strat, just tung oil over hand rubbed stain, and that guitar sings. I have also taken steel wool to some of my solid bodies, for a satin look, and while that didn't open the pores, it definitely improved the resonance, without any real negative effect. You could do that on an acoustic, but I wouldn't go any further than that, because yeah, the finish does keep the wood strong.

George wrote:
Nick wrote:
Mojo take arrows to the knee.

Sorry, just started playing that game again...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: