ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Pawn shop necks, Mustang special vs. Jaguarillo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vhwork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Pawn shop necks, Mustang special vs. Jaguarillo Reply with quote

Hey everybody,
Considering selling one of my guitars to pick up a Jaguarillo, but was wondering how the necks on those compared to the necks on the Pawn Shop Mustangs. I have one of the Mustangs and absolutely love that guitar. It has instilled in me a deep love for the short scales, which is why I am considering grabbing a Jaguarillo for my single coil sounds. I don't want to be disappointed with the Jaguarillo though and I haven't been able to actually lay my hands on one to check it out. Insight would be appreciated.
Thanks guys and gals!
jculpjr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself using the humbucker or humbucker + middle the most on my Jaguarillo. I don't love the singles very much- they're okay just not great IMO.
vhwork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Would you recommend a CIJ Mustang over the Jaguarillo or even one of the Squier VM Mustangs? These are other options I have been considering.
jculpjr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played a VM Mustang, but if you are looking for the single coil sound, you do a lot worse than an MIJ Jaguar. The Jaguarillo sounds more like a mix of Stratocaster/Jaguar than a pure Jaguar.
vhwork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolio, I have always wanted a jag, but they don't seem to go for under 600 on eBay. I could probably swing a loaded body though, and then pull the neck off my mustang, and use it on the jag. That would give me a good excuse to do some mods I have been thinking about for the mustang and I could just play the jag while they were being done.

This might be a workable plan.
Thanks man.
Noirie.
YOUTH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VM Mustangs are shit imo. Horrible shaped and chunky necks. Pickups sound shit to.

Get a CIJ 69 Reissue Mustang. They're ace but the pickups are kinda crap but okay I suppose.
Rox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are good. The Mustang is prolly the better way to go. The Jaguarillo is great if you want to mod. It has a swimming pool route for numerous options. The Enforcers in the Stang are way better than whatever they us in the Jaguarillo. They sound top out of phase when using a fuzz.
Cavediver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should play a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang. I have one and I find the neck to be perfect for my taste with a nice 9.5" radius. The Duncan Designed pickups sound great and I don't plan on changing them. To me it's a fun and well made guitar.
BTW, been playing since 1965 and have lots of other guitars to compare it to.
vhwork

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions, I will definitely be looking into them.
singlepup

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try a Jaguar, look into the Squier VM Jag. They are really ace guitars, especially for the price. Pickups sound great IMO, and I love the neck. Call me crazy, but I actually preferred the Squier to my old AVRI in terms of both feel and sound.

If you'd rather try a Mustang, I'd say MIJ/CIJ. They are not much more than the Squiers and seem to be higher quality. The general opinion of this board is get a 69/73 RI if you want a thinner neck and contours; however, you'll probably want to swap the pickups. Get a 65 RI if you want something that sounds nice with no mods, but keep in mind that it has a slab body and slighty chunkier neck.

I'm also thinking about picking up a Japanese Stang and can't really decide which model...
jmmc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found the jaguarillo to be a bit redundant. sounds ok, but for the price there is a lot of more options. I personally like the fender modern player mustangs. Just give it a go.
vhwork

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought about the MP mustang and the B90 blacktop jag also since the guitar I would be selling currently has P90's, but haven't been able to put my hands on those either. The town I live in doesn't get a whole lot of variety in the guitar shops.
vhwork

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, might I say you guys are awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: