ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Fender Supersonic vs. Squier Supersonic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellaMelos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Fender Supersonic vs. Squier Supersonic Reply with quote

I was curious if there are any major differences, and if one is "superior" to the other in terms of build quality.
I know the colors are different. I am mostly questioning the playability and quality.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the squier is a fender classic series japan guitar with a squier sticker on it.

made in same japan factory with all fender parts.

they cost more than standard series mexican fenders when they came out.

price and ignorant people who feel a decal is the most importaint part of a guitar doomed it
Rox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Squier goes by Japanese specs and the Fender Mexican.
Which one is better is all preference. The Squiers have only grown to collector status. Yeah , they're good but not $800 for a dinged up one good. Ive played both and thought the Squier was a little better but by no means the Mexican one crap.
I for one am hunting down a Mexi.
I am kinda disgusted on how the whole Supersonic thing went down. All these people griped and bitched and begged for Fender to make these damn things , Fender makes them again and many never bothered buying them. Then they discontinue and people are hoarding them up to try to sell them at a premium. The Fender 51 is the same deal.
wadeaminute

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bit of investment in these models.
If I could only have one (instead of nine), I would choose a Squier. But if that was not an option, the Fender would be fine.
The Squier: smaller neck. Tiny, really. The Japanese quality seems higher to me than the Mexican Fender Pawn Shop. They are also older and a bit more rare, I think. Plus, because it is a high-end Squier, there is a certain satisfaction that comes with knowing that these are better than Squier's reputation. The neckplate is recessed, which is pretty cool. The tuners and the bridge and saddles are nicer on the Squier, in my opinion.
The Fender: the gunmetal flake is my favourite stock colour of all seven models (four Squier, three Fender). The neck is bigger, but it is also a really cool shape in its own right. Like a big round, comfy neck. Chunky. I like both, and prefer the Squier neck, but this one feels really good, too. I like the jazz bass knobs on the Fender more. And the stock pickups sound pretty good on the Fender - I like them more than I liked the ones in the Squiers (before I removed them all and swapped them out).
A year before their release, I called a Fender Pawn Shop re-release. And then when it dropped, I was slightly less than stoked. The orange one looked better to me online. Turns out that, in hand, the gunmetal looks better.
I am leaving one of my white Squiers stock, and my orange Fender. The other seven will be modified. The red Fender that I just bought, with its wider neck is being converted to a 12 string at the moment.
You know, if I had to pick one and leave it stock, I might actually pick the gunmetal Fender - best colour, better pickups. Hmmmm - but like I would leave it stock.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they dissapeared before I had the scratch to buy one.
paul_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The neck, the neck, the neck. Totally different guitars. If the Squier Supersonic was a CIJ reissue shortscale, the MIM Pawn Shop would be like it's CP/Squier VM equivalent.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
speedfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rox wrote:
Well the Squier goes by Japanese specs and the Fender Mexican.
Which one is better is all preference. The Squiers have only grown to collector status. Yeah , they're good but not $800 for a dinged up one good. Ive played both and thought the Squier was a little better but by no means the Mexican one crap.
I for one am hunting down a Mexi.
I am kinda disgusted on how the whole Supersonic thing went down. All these people griped and bitched and begged for Fender to make these damn things , Fender makes them again and many never bothered buying them. Then they discontinue and people are hoarding them up to try to sell them at a premium. The Fender 51 is the same deal.

I purchased an orange SS when they were first released. I think where Fender failed is with their choice of colors. They were too traditional and too few. Fender North America never has been as adventurous as the Japanese when it comes to offering a better variety of colors. Think about all the cool colors that you'd like to own them in. I can imagine gold flake, lime green flake, re-issue silver and blue flake, etc...instead they just kinda gave us "blah" the usual. And while they were reorienting the pickups I would have liked to have seen the selector switch moved to the lower-upper bout and the reversed head stock reoriented so that the tuners face up a la strat/tele as this position is more ergonomical and is visually more appealing and follows the lines of the SS body better. The bottom line is that Fender didn't ponder why the SS failed to become a big seller back in 1996 and make it better the second time out. As old man Rayford was fond of saying: "They're just sittin around bumping dick heads!"(instead of thinking this through). Laughing

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: