ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

NGD Squier Mini Strat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
61fury

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: NGD Squier Mini Strat Reply with quote

Had it for a couple of months now. Only 35 dollars at a flea market, it's an older heavier one, serial number suggests an 06? if that's possible.
Cute as a button, difficult to like. sounded junky acoustically even when in tune, which wasn't often. It did sound great through an amp. Actually it's the best sounding guitar I have. Strung it with 11's, still the strings feel slack. Finally I Loctited the saddles, that kept it from slipping out of tune so bad, and just now did a fret level and loosened the truss rod for some relief. Plays way better now .
I'm not keeping it, I tend to hoard and unlike West Texas I tend to bond with my things (where's Emoticon?) Smile

So I'm giving it to an unseen high functioning autistic kid. the only caveat is that if he doesn't take to it it would be nice to get it back. It will look great under a tree, I used a white guitar strap as the ribbon. And I figure maybe music would be a great discipline for an autistic kid.
I'm finally pried free of my covetousness of the thing and don't begrudge the gift, it took a while. After all I have 8 guitars and only know the intros to about 5 songs.

If I kept it or get it back I'd do a 3 barrel conversion, the 6 saddles now intonate just like 3 barrels. and get some fancy tuners, the vintage Mustang or Cali tuners, the white button kind
speedfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude you rock!!! Cool

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
61fury

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. now I have to find some kind of starter pack amp, or some thing 20 dollars or so that sounds tolerable. The nurse will pay for that. I tried a Honeytone but it just sounded like " braap, braap braap" no matter what chord is played. I need to hit some pawn shops .
Anyone have any low, low end amp recommendations?
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get one with at least a 6.5" speaker, the tiny plastic ones all sound cheesy.
Gabriel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshall MG10 is actually a decent amp if you find one second hand. Line 6 spider 15 is awesome (I actually gig with one when I can't be bothered to lug a big amp).

Both can be found pretty cheap secondhand.
61fury

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a cheap fender amp, an SP something, PHHT, PHHT Pharp,pharp. Anyone know anything about those JOYO earbud amps? Kid's not getting an amp for Christmas at this rate.
61fury

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a friend who knows a lot of musicians, ( I don't know any musicians) might be able to scrounge something. Even a guy who builds amps.
I got lucky with my practice amps, an Orange Crush for ten bucks and a Roland Micro Cube for 50. I gave the guitar up today, now to find a learn guitar book for the lad. i have a couple I don't use, Mary Had a Little Lamb kind of crap. All those songs are the same, Row Row Row Your Boat, ad nauseum. One finger chords are good though. We'll see, at least Christmas Day might be awesome.
61fury

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And basic blues stuff
SherwoodJim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score for $35!

I keep bugging my wife about getting one for my little girl. Are these too heavy for a four year old?
61fury

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was heavy, the new ones at Guitar Center are very light. I think mine was wood, not plywood, I did pull the PG off at one point, seemed like wood
61fury

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the red was a darker Dakota red, not the poppy red like mine, the pink is hideous, why didn't they go with the classic shell pink?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: