ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

cheap nut files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: cheap nut files Reply with quote

I have a couple guitars with nut slots not deep enough for nice action. I have been looking around for some nut files but they were pretty expensive. somewhere on the internet I read someone mention using welding tip files to cut the slots. They are used to clean the tips of oxy acetylene torches. I went out and got a cheap set ~$6. They worked great. not too aggressive, but cut just right. anyway, I am not sure if this has been mentioned here before.

sunshiner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! I've been seeking for a while for a cheap alternative to files. Stewmac sells a set of files for ridiculous amount of money.
cur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you kind of have to get the hang of using them, because they bend a little, but they worked great. the initial factory slots were there, but if you are working from scratch, it may be best to get the groove going with a jewelers saw or small file first.

SherwoodJim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never would have thought of those in a million years. Great tip!

Plus, you never know when you're gonna need to clean some oxy acetelyne torches... Best be prepared.
Sublimedo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshiner wrote:
Thank you very much! I've been seeking for a while for a cheap alternative to files. Stewmac sells a set of files for ridiculous amount of money.

Sort of seems like some of the stuff on Stew Mac are just existing tools that have been repurposed into something guitar related and upcharged.

Their "nut and saddle" vise is just a basic vise you can find in any hardware store.
NickD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW their nut files are apparantly great to use, and if you are a professional luthier, then they are essential. My nut files came as a kit with some other tools and cost 25. They do the job better than the torch cleaners, but not as well as the Stewmac files. The torch cleaners are great for tidying up an existing nut, not so good at making a new one.
speedfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sublimedo wrote:
sunshiner wrote:

Sort of seems like some of the stuff on Stew Mac are just existing tools that have been repurposed into something guitar related and upcharged.

Their "nut and saddle" vise is just a basic vise you can find in any hardware store.

You are absolutely correct. Their fret wire tang nipper is just a nibbler with a groove cut for the fret wire to sit in. I purchased a nibbler and cut a groove with my dremel tool. Saved about $40.00.

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/Sheet-Metal-Hand-Nibblers.php

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Pliers_and_Cutters/Fret_Tang_Nipper.html

Those welding files look like they would be great for smoothing out or opening up bridge slots as well.

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
cur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And their fret pullers are just wire end nippers that have been filed flush so the cutting edge lays flat with the fret board.

Link

benecol
Best Poster 2010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arr, been using a set of those for the last few years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: