ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Cyclone Rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
urban_paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Cyclone Rebuild Reply with quote

I thought I'd share a few pics of my Cyclone.

As you'll see, it's been through a bit of a transformation!

When it arrived, it was wrecked - body full of dents, painted matt black, scratchplate painted silver and sanded-down, filthy neck...

I just gave it to my local luthier, suggested Lake Placid Blue and that he should rescue as much of the original "patinated" hardware as possible.

Unfortunately, he didn't take any "in progress" pics or images of what he found under the grime, but this is the result:

NB. The discoloration on the scratchplate is what he found once he'd removed the paint.

If anyone has suggestions as to the origins of the guitar (was this a Squier?), I'd appreciate it!
Rox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Cyclone looked really nice all beat up.. You should of just upgraded the electrics , made sure everything is straight and cleaned it up with some lemon oil ( that's just me) . I do dig the blue though.. I've been kinda digging the Cyclones lately .
Zack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone had an earwax toggle on there and it melted onto the pickguard. Jokes aside, smoke damage perhaps, chemical reaction? Seems very isolated though, the smaller yellow area to the right of the neck pup could of had a sticker on there at some point.

My guess is that it was a Fender because of the tuners, unless those are new. The neck pocket would give you some info if your guy didn't paint over it. Is the neck plate branded?
singlepup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LPB came out very nice. Digging the look of this guitar. Always wanted a Cyclone...
urban_paranoia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got it, I thought "Squier", primarily because I didn't think someone would want to trash a Fender quite so badly (the first picture above doesn't do it justice). Obviously, that's a rather naive viewpoint!

However, following a few subsequent conversations with people, I've since tended towards Fender too. The truth is, I just don't know - and most of the clues have been removed.

*Neck pocket - IIRC, it's been painted over.

*I'm pretty sure the machine heads are original.

*Neck plate - AFAIK, non-original, non-branded.

In many ways, I suppose it's best to treat it for what it is (a non-original guitar with no history) and enjoy it for that - it would still be nice to know, though! Smile
jamba72

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the blue came out pretty nice I think..the gibson hat knobs look good on it, too..
nice flame on the neck wood! Was the Fender bridge on it originally?
I always liked the cyclones with a hard tail bridge..
jmmc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, quite a transformation. like it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: