ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

i borrowed my friend's ds-1 for shits and giggles and
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daftsupernova

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: i borrowed my friend's ds-1 for shits and giggles and Reply with quote

holy FUCK this is a shitty pedal how has it stuck around for so long why is this the most accessible boss pedal why is this still produced and the hm-1 is not how can something sound so awful and cost more than $10

theshadowofseattle wrote:
That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
paul_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocaine, then kurdtz. By then it was too late to say anything.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
daftsupernova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so i decided to play around with it a little more and found that it doesnt sound so bad after reverb, especially if the tone and gain are turned way down to a reasonable level (why are these things so fucking shrill?) to add a little texture without overloading the sound

dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But... Steve Vai... War and peace...
daftsupernova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who the FUCK is steve vai and warren peace they sound like dumb potatoe fuckers

gusman2x

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
But... Steve Vai... War and peace...

All day and all night.

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Concretebadger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out a YT vid of an old 'silver screw' DS-1 and the current production model, but didn't hear any noticeable difference. Certainly not the sort of contrast you'd get between, say, various Muff iterations, or even the 'audible improvement but not not night-and-day' op amp chip upgrade in a RAT. I thought DS-1s were either modded to buggery to sound good, or only the old ones sounded good...but I guess my assumption was wrong. Thoughts, anyone? Confused
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concretebadger wrote:
Thoughts, anyone? Confused

Stop thinking about it and just use almost any other distortion pedal.
johnnyseven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to open a can of worms, IME whether you Rat has a LM308 or OP07 op amp chip makes no difference to the sound.

One of the first pedals I had was an old Taiwanese DS1 and I thought sounded great but it got lost. I bought a new model a while ago and thought it sounded rubbish. So I do tend to believe the hype with the DS1.
71Smallbox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyseven wrote:
Just to open a can of worms, IME whether you Rat has a LM308 or OP07 op amp chip makes no difference to the sound.

One of the first pedals I had was an old Taiwanese DS1 and I thought sounded great but it got lost. I bought a new model a while ago and thought it sounded rubbish. So I do tend to believe the hype with the DS1.

I notice only a bit of clarity in the distortion sound, IE: less muffled, when you change the opamp in the Rat pedal, very subtle. As far as DS-1's, I've had 2 silver screw(sold to idiots on ebay) and an early Taiwan model(still have), and there was no difference in sound whatsoever. I have not had a chance to compare to a new version with the dual opamp. I actually like how my Taiwan DS1 sounds. The tone knob is what you need to watch, you can't have that thing past noon.
Concretebadger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyseven wrote:

As 71Smallbox says, the difference isn't a big one but it's there. I suspect that if I hadn't had the 'before and after' experience I would've just thought a RAT is a RAT, but it's still a definite improvement. But then, it was a complete rebuild with all-new components and not just the chip so the reason could be a combination of several things.

I suspect the allure of a DS-1 is the fact that it's a box that retails for less than fifty quid despite having the Boss name on it. But then, the same can be said of the SD-1! But yeah, for the price of an SD-1 there are zillions of other options to choose from.
johnnyseven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Rat2 with an LM308 and one with an OP07 at the same time and played them side by side and they had no difference in sound. In my experience the pots they use in new Rats vary substantially in quality, specifically in reference to the consistency and smoothness of the taper, which can affect the availability of the range of sounds available.

I once had an email conversation with a ProCo engineer, specifically about the Turbo Rat, but it may also be relevant to Rat2's, and he told me that the circuit board layout in their modern pedals is different to the ones and that the components may be of differing quality too, although the component values are the same - which could affect the sound.
dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best ds-1 less money could buy...

Bought in 1991 tested by a Muppet that couldn't play and I still chose this over a ds-1.
honeyiscool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's awful at doing exactly what it's supposed to do. I like it with the gain all the way down and the tone knob facing west.
jcyphe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the DS-1. I've had some modded in the past and they all end up being way worse than the original. I also had different versions and my favorite was a Taiwanese model I got brand new at Sam Ash.
George

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its good to tighten up and boost a really fucking loud overdriven liquid gain amp
which is what steve and kurt liked about it
its terrible for everything else clearly
Fran
The Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pedal gets a lot of flak but i think people expect too much from it.
You have to remember, at the time they came out they were decent, because there wasn't much else around. But it's now been surpassed by other dirt boxes including some within the Boss range.

Every now and then I use mine, same with the SD-1, it's a nice bit of nostalgia.

robroe wrote:
I got a stomach ache. Anyone got any heroin? Or like a gun or something?

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daftsupernova wrote:
who the FUCK is steve vai and warren peace they sound like dumb potatoe fuckers

Laughing

robroe wrote:
I got a stomach ache. Anyone got any heroin? Or like a gun or something?

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Gabriel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness the DS-1 can work ok when in front of a jazz clean tone. Its not a setup I use, but I know a few guys that use one to good effect. I think it really helps that the standard 'jazz tone' has a lot of treble rolled off though so it does warm up the sound of the pedal.

I still prefer to use a more tubescreamer-esque pedal for my overdrive sound though.
paul_

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George wrote:
its good to tighten up and boost a really fucking loud overdriven liquid gain amp
which is what... ...kurt liked about it

Don't know where you're getting that from but it simply isn't true. Kurt didn't set his amp rack to "liquid gain" live because he had a lot of chorusy clean tones to pull off after 1991 (and at other times simply used a TR), and the way he set his DS-1 (tone at 10 o'clock, rest on full-whack) wouldn't "tighten" up anything.
I'd be willing to bet Cobain didn't "like" the DS-1 so much as he wasn't that into gear in the early days, was pretty rough on it on tour and came to rely on sourcing the cheapest and easiest to find dirtbox in the Western hempisphere. As soon as he substituted a DS-2 under identical circumstances during the Nevermind tours we never saw the DS-1 again, and by the In Utero tour he was actually going for more amp-like dirt but using a SansAmp to do it. His progression of distortion pedals was like witnessing the learning curve... he didn't actually use the DS-1 as long as the DS-2 for the documented Nirvana/amp rack period.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: