ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

1 9/16", vintage radius, which guitar?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pupuquek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: 1 9/16", vintage radius, which guitar? Reply with quote

I have a 74' Gibson SG with a 1 9/16" narrow nut that is perfect for me. Don't like the flat 12" radius though and the neck could a be bit fatter. So it seems a short scale fender would be perfect.

A neck: 1 1/2" ~38mm
B neck: 1 5/8" ~41.3mm

B width is too thick for me, and A neck i'm not too sure if its too narrow and 24" scale is the shortest I'll go.

Any mustangs, jaguars I can look for?
George

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure most current production models have a 42mm nut which is around B width. to get one actually stamped A or B you'd need to go vintage and get the seller to prove it with the stamp or the measurement.

worth trying before you buy though. in my experience it needs to be somewhat of a balance between scale nut width, radius and profile. you may end up feeling squished
Pupuquek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I wish to try a few but not much on the market where I'm at. I use to have a CIJ MG65 and it was very playable, don't recall it being particularly wide (i think it is 41mm, slightly smaller then usual B width which are around 41.3~) but was not as comfortable as my SG's nut. Sold it because I hated the thick, shiny finish all over the guitar including the neck, as with all CIJs.

Is there anything out there fender-esque that is cheap and current production with a 1 9/16" neck or smaller? Would like to pick something up and have a feel for it. Regular 25.5" scale would be cool too, I wonder how a narrow nut jazzmaster would feel like. Probably very good.
Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fender Jaguars from Japan that got released in the UK around 2006/8 (I can't remember exactly when) had really narrow nuts. At the time they were the only ones you could buy new. The ones I saw/played in store were in Daphne Blue, Olympic White and Seafoam green with matching headstocks and were very narrow across the nut. Very similar to my vintage A width Jaguar. The string spacing may have even been a little closer even.

That's the only very narrow neck I've played (as far as modern necks go). Late 70's Musicmaster necks are on the small side too and meet just about all of your specs. They're also about the cheapest vintage Fender neck you can buy. They are also AMAZING.
dots
BADmin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2005 avri jag has a super narrow nut, too. says it's a C neck, but it feels smaller somehow.

jcyphe wrote:
But the people need that wiggle stick.
paul_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't advise this often but you clearly want a Jag-Stang neck, which is both A-width and a more similar profile to that titchy Norlin spec than most reissue Jaguar necks I've played. From my experience with similar guitars on topic here, I think you'd find that the most ideal compromise... I have a '72 SG-II and a Jag-Stang, the SG actually feels slightly narrower at the nut to me (even though it apparently isn't) but they are comparable in width/string spacing, and even neck profile right down at the nut... feels like a stick when you're on the cowboy chords.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
singlepup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second the Jag-Stang. The neck width at the nut is 39.68 mm. It's 24" scale with a 7.25" neck radius. The neck is slightly fat and fits perfectly in your hand.

I own one and it has the most comfortable neck I've ever played. Many here will agree with me.

Late 70's Musicmasters will also work and are a great find. The Jag-Stang is MIJ/CIJ and has that shiny finish you hate. If you really can't convince yourself to go MIJ, you can find a used Musicmaster on Guitar Center's website (of all places) for under $700.
Pupuquek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking up the Jag-stang on ebay. Shame about the thick finish. I know I'll never truly bond with that guitar.

By late 70s Musicmasters, does that include the Musicmaster IIs?
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Musicmaster II was actually earlier. I meant the late 70s ones. You can easily spot them by the 70's style logo and the fact they have the serial # on the headstock decal.
Pupuquek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought i'd ask rather then start another thread:

24" scale A necks with clay dots, do they exist?
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, My Jaguar is a 64, clay dots, A width. Stuart Has a 65 mustang that's A width, I'm not sure if the dots are clay or pearloid.
MatthewK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't clay dot Mustangs considered mythical?
Oh and my avatar is the headstock of a late 70s Musicmaster. Which is fantastic.
Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if some left over Jaguar necks became Mustangs. There's a little bit of cross over time wise so I wouldn't be shocked if there were some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: