ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Lots of Mustang purchase related questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Alien

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Lots of Mustang purchase related questions Reply with quote

Hello to all. I am not a new member here but I am now a new "poster". I frequently post at the offset forum and thegearpage so some of you might now me from those other sites.

I have been (for the past couple of years) a Jazzmaster player. While I still love the JM I wanted to get into something a bit more compact. I have been a tad leery of the shorter scale but the Mustang really hits a lot of what I would need and am going for. Great looks, the option to still do shoegazy and surf stuff all while being smaller than the JM.

I purchased a 65 RI Mustang months back but it had some issues so I returned it. I am now in the market again so I am thinking of heading to a Mustang again but am not sure which direction to go.

1. Should I try to hold off for a players grade vintage Mustang or are the reissues as good or better? I do like the fact that I could mod the newer one with less guilt as I would like to maybe try some different wiring schemes. (honeyiscool has a great one available) but if the vintage ones are really a ton better I would go that route.

2. In the spectrum of the reissues is there one better than another. I like the contours on the 69 for sure but I am not a fan of matching headstocks or comp stripes. Also it seems like the poplar on the 65 would be more vintage accurate and maybe a better body wood. I am not sure.

3. Keeping with number 2 is there a specific set of years in which the reissues are better?

I am also possibly thinking of looking at a Cyclone. I like that the scale is slightly larger and that it has a 3 way switch but would not want a humbucker so it would require a new set of pickups and a new pickguard. Not a huge deal but I have heard they are not as nice as the Mustangs quality wise. Thanks in advance for the help!
vojtasTS29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cyclone II is a very cool guitar and has three single-coils in the mustang-style angled fashion. The strat trem on the cyclone is not very shoegazy tho. I think you should just go out and fap some necks in your guitar store Very Happy I think there is no better way to tell which suits you the most. I kinda tend to like the very late mustangs from like '77 but i will never be able to afford such a guitar. Crying or Very sad
Johnny Alien

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty flexible as far as necks go. I tend to get along with both thick and thinner ones. I see some decent deals on late 70's ones but then have heard that the quality can be a bit iffy.
Johnny Alien

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found two very good deals on some vintage Mustangs so I went the vintage route.
markleton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go vintage (which you have...) remember all the Mustang wiring is on the scratch plate. You can very easily whip the vintage plate/pickups/switches out and fire in something funkier and keep the originals clean and unfucked with.
Johnny Alien

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually found a killer deal on one that is largely original except for the pickguard and electronics so I am going to swap that stuff out with no worries at all.....then I found one for a sick deal that was all original even down to the owners manual and I couldn't pass that one up. So somehow my search ended up yielding 2 guitars instead of one. That one I will just keep stock I think. But it is good to know that I can easily change some stuff and keep all of the wiring original!
jagsonic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worthless without pics
NickS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagsonic wrote:
worthless without pics

This
Johnny Alien

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you have me intrigued. That's not the all-original one, obvsly from the rails pick-up, but are the neck and body the same date? If so, 70s from the F tuners? Original contour body - when was that?
jagsonic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Stang. Would put a tortoise pickguard on it. Cool
Johnny Alien

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickS wrote:
Ok, you have me intrigued. That's not the all-original one, obvsly from the rails pick-up, but are the neck and body the same date? If so, 70s from the F tuners? Original contour body - when was that?

The pickguard, pickups and tuners were replaced on this. The rest of it dates to 66.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: