ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Squier Jagmaster vs Squier Cyclone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
singlepup

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Squier Jagmaster vs Squier Cyclone Reply with quote

I was thinking it would be cool to have an offset with Strat trem, and noticed that these can both be had for under $200 USD.

Which would you choose and why?

(If you think I should just hold out for a Vista Jagmaster or the Fender Cyclone II, let me know... but I'm more inclined to try a cheapie)
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vista Jagmaster is really worth holding out for and you can still get them for a decent price if you're patient.

I don't like Cyclones at all. They have a cheap feel, especially the necks. Mustang looks/size with a thicker body made it just uncomfy and heavy for the size. I had one for a few weeks, It holds the record for the guitar I'd kept for the least amount of time.

I've never tried the Cyclone II but I can't imagine it's any different apart from the pickups. I could be way off the mark tho as I don't have any personal experience with them.
speedfish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both and they are great guitars. I prefer my Jagmaster because I've done so much modding to it.

sorry, but long scale.

Chinese version.

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
singlepup

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good feedback, thanks guys. I think I am going to hunt for a Vista Jagmaster, but I really want some sort of cheap interim guitar.

I have heard similar things about the Squier Cyclone, but I know Pens liked the one he bought...

*Speedfish: what sort of pups are in your silver sparkle Jagmaster?
speedfish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singlepup wrote:
*Speedfish: what sort of pups are in your silver sparkle Jagmaster?

Gibson p90's with 1meg pots and orange drop capacitor. Lots of sparkle, and shimmer, but can really get dirty and growl too.

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to compare the cheapies with the Vistas. The cheap ones aren't bad, but they're completely different guitars, Vista is of course on par with MIJ Jags / JMs / Mustangs. Me, I'm not a fan of the finish on the neck of the cheap ones, and I think the overall build quality isn't that great. No better than Squier Affinity strats / teles of that era. The ones I have played had tuning stability issues as well. Then again that can be fixed...it is a $200 guitar, and a good candidate for modding. I also much prefer the 9.5" radius.
speedfish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon wrote:
Hard to compare the cheapies with the Vistas. The cheap ones aren't bad, but they're completely different guitars, Vista is of course on par with MIJ Jags / JMs / Mustangs. Me, I'm not a fan of the finish on the neck of the cheap ones, and I think the overall build quality isn't that great. No better than Squier Affinity strats / teles of that era. The ones I have played had tuning stability issues as well. Then again that can be fixed...it is a $200 guitar, and a good candidate for modding. I also much prefer the 9.5" radius.

My Jagmaster has a 12" radius, but it's the long scale version. The Squier Cyclone is 9.5" radius. Is it the satin finish on the necks that you don't like?

Rox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're apples and oranges .
The Cyclone is 24 3/4 scale, Stangish body,
The Jagmaster 24'' scale , Jazzmasterish body.

If you dig 24 3/4 get the Cyclone . They're good stuff. Even the Squier one at that . You also can't go wrong with the Jagmaster . But the Cyclones ( even the Squiers are starting to disappear so if it were me that would be the one to get . They might be similar to a Mustang in looks but that's where it ends . Totally different animal . They make cool projects too.
A Jagmaster if you ever get the itch again you can get for a dime a dozen . Great guitar but plenty to go around . Grab a Cyclone .
JohnnyTheBoy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both, and preferred the jagmaster over the cyclone...the cyclone had a mustang style pickguard and different pups when I got it, so it was prettier imo than a regular...
As for the differences, even tho I preferred the 24 3/4" scale of the cyclone to say a strat scale, I still found it to be a chunkier neck, especially around the cowboy chords than the Jagmaster's 24" conversion neck...which I have to say are fucking ace in thickness and feel!! Love em!
I reckon the Squire Cyclone's are a tad heavier, mine was! and body shape is larger than a stang, where as the jagmaster is pretty much Bob on to a Jag or Jazzer shape...
The Squire Duosonic uses a slightly similar 24" conversion neck to the jagmaster and that feels mighty fine too! My Duo was my main go-to-guitar....well, till I got my jap stang that is!!
So in a nut shell, both are cool guitars, but need the pups swapping out...imo Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: