ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Rickenbacker 650 A Atlantis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HNB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Rickenbacker 650 A Atlantis Reply with quote

I got this in trade. It is my first Rickenbacker. I am still getting used to it. This model has a pretty wide neck. It reminds me of my acoustic guitar. I normally try to avoid any guitar that isn't bolt on in case of neck issues but this model has two things that make me ok with it.

1. It is a neck through so I don't have to worry about the neck glue point really.
2. It doesn't have the thin tilt back headstock like Gibson so it seems more sturdy there to me.

This was from their 60th Anniversary year. I read they are kind of hard to come by? The black and brown ones seem much more common.

I love the maple neck and maple fretboard. I read it is short scale. The mini tuners are great. I really like the pickups although the neck pickup seems louder than the bridge by a little. I adjusted the heights and it doesn't really change it. I really love the metal guard and knobs. I also like the hard tail bridge. The body is pretty thin. Reminds me of some of my vintage bodies. More like 1.5 inches thick or so. The contours are nice and the controls are nice and quiet. This is the first guitar that has mini humbuckers I like. My previous ones just sounded weak to me and kind of boring. I also have the manual and hard case.

20151223_230115 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

20151223_230138 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

20151223_230125 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

20151223_230203 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

20151223_230220 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
HNB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was disclosed to me before the trade that it had a ding by the 7th fret. I have had luck filling those so I gave it a go. This it when I got it.

20151222_171508 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

20151222_171527 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

The ding was on the low e side so my thumb was hitting it. (I tend to wrap my thumb on that side while playing.) I tried my recently acquired trick. Drop some Gorilla super glue gel in the dings and that scratch and let it dry for a day. I like the gel because it doesn't run and it dries thick.

20151222_174933 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Once dry I just had to carefully wetsand it smooth.

20151223_230025 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

20151223_230021 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

You can still SEE it, but you can't feel it now. (I know I asked my wife to feel it and tell me what she thought. She didn't know there was a ding before until I showed it to her. She couldn't feel it.)

Anyways, I also took that chance to knock the gloss a bit and polish it to give it more of a satin vibe which feels nice and soft. Smile All good now! I might add some dunlop strap locks next since I have them on all my guitars. Just need to order a pair.
sunshiner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning guitar, congrats. WTR had the same if memory serves me well. I believe it is 24.75"
benecol
Best Poster 2010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always loved those (although prefer the rosewood neck ones) because of the wide neck and body shape. Well done.
Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I'm not usually a Ric fan but that looks real nice. Great work with those dents too!!
Noirie.
YOUTH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it but they're so pricey. I think the guy in Converge used to play these.
Ankhanu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing is fantastic. Great colour choice.

That ding fix idea is fantastic, I'd never heard of that one. I have a couple necks with similar small dents; I might have to try that.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brandon W

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgeous and classy.. i dig it

Chico Malo wrote:
This thread just went down the toilet. Bye

iCEByTes wrote:
Carrot´s and pussy party happy joy joy
singlepup

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to convince myself that I don't ever need to own a Ric, but threads like these...
HNB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping the dent fix trick would help some people out. I have used it on probably five necks or so and had great luck. I tried nailpolish once, but the clear I had actually was nitro based and destabilized the original finish and it just was so thin it took days to fill up.

I never tried one before because shops I have been in didn't have them and their costs are normally so high I just didn't bother blind buying one. Since I was able to trade, it worked out great. It isn't 100% mint so I should be able to avoid the fears of scratches or dings on an expensive guitar. I am a maple fretboard fan so when I saw this (which I hadn't really seen many maple Ricks), I had to give it a shot.
jcyphe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
71Smallbox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HNB wrote:
I was hoping the dent fix trick would help some people out. I have used it on probably five necks or so and had great luck. I tried nailpolish once, but the clear I had actually was nitro based and destabilized the original finish and it just was so thin it took days to fill up.

I never tried one before because shops I have been in didn't have them and their costs are normally so high I just didn't bother blind buying one. Since I was able to trade, it worked out great. It isn't 100% mint so I should be able to avoid the fears of scratches or dings on an expensive guitar. I am a maple fretboard fan so when I saw this (which I hadn't really seen many maple Ricks), I had to give it a shot.

what do you use to wetsand with? I have really no idea about this and have a Jazzy neck with a ding in about the same place.
71Smallbox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, NICE guitar, very stunning!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like Rickenbackers but I like that. Maybe because it looks like a normal guitar made by someone else but with Rick visuals or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

71Smallbox wrote:
what do you use to wetsand with? I have really no idea about this and have a Jazzy neck with a ding in about the same place.

I used 600 then 1000 wet sand paper along with synthetic steel wool. (Since I wanted satin vs gloss.)

Bacchus wrote:
I don't really like Rickenbackers but I like that. Maybe because it looks like a normal guitar made by someone else but with Rick visuals or something.

I agree. I am not a fan of semi hollow or hollow guitars, so this one with a more familiar bridge visually was my speed.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful guitar. I used to own this one

This is one the guy in Converge has

HNB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love a Colorado to go with it. ;D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: