ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Good 12 inch speaker between 75 and 125 euros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jagtornado

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Good 12 inch speaker between 75 and 125 euros Reply with quote

Hi guys ,

I managed to change my solid state combo into a cab for my Orange Micro terror . The speaker inside ain't bad at all but I want a better one . I am looking for speaker that sound warm overal without getting muddy and that is clear enough at the same time with a good bite

Also important is that it takes effects very well

Any good suggestions between the budget between 75 and 125 euros ?

Cheers
johnnyseven

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Celestion Vintage 30 has always worked well for me, improved my Hot Rod Deluxe and Blues Junior when I had them. People also rate the Greenbacks and Creambacks.
George

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eminence have a lot of different flavours for that sort of thing, probably in their "redcoat" range.

relevant:

Link
Gabriel

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always ended up swapping out celestions. I'd say go for some kind of Eminence speaker. The lil texas is my favourite, but judging it's to use with an orange, something from the red coat line would probably be more appropriate.
dots
BADmin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenback.

jcyphe wrote:
But the people need that wiggle stick.
Concretebadger

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the sound of a Greenback - they're midrange-y, but not in a bad way. I can imagine them being awesome in a 2x12 if you want single note leads that cut through. The mids spike is in a more musical place than V30s or G12Hs to my ears.

My personal fave is a creamback though, and that's what I plan to have in the next cab I buy. The frequency response is pretty flat, so there's no annoying peaks in the frequency response that'll need to be eq'd out when recording. Plus it has quite high power handling, so I could use it live in a 1- or 2x12.

This is all experience from blind testing on the Matamp speaker wall - Jeff switched through them and let me try them all out before telling me which was which. It was really enlightening: I discovered I hate G12Hs and the premium alnico speakers, I'm still undecided about V30s, but love creambacks and don't mind the greenbacks. There were no Eminences there unfortunately, so can't comment on those.

Can anyone vouch for Warehouse Guitar Speakers btw? That might be a viable option, as long as the sound quality matches the Celestion types that they're emulating. I've seen their ET65 retail at 40 less than a creamback! Shocked
johnnyseven

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Creamback and a Vintage 30 in my 2 x 12, it sounds pretty good to me.
Jagtornado

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys I bought myself a a Fender speaker made by eminence . It is the speaker that comes with the Fender blues deluxe reissue
The guy I bought it from replaced the speaker in his Fender combo with another one, a Celestion

It sounds good to me . The first time I tested the Micro terror in a store was on the same speaker . The guy in the store disconnected the speaker in the Fender blues deluxe and connected it to the Micro terror and it sounded great to me

Thanks anyway for the replies

regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: