ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Rickenbacker 360/6 opinions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
71Smallbox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Rickenbacker 360/6 opinions Reply with quote

Hello All. I have very little experience with Ricks, I've only played a 620 once. I like the look and the sound of these, but I have yet to try one out. A local guy is willing to trade for one of my other guitars. I understand changing the strings can be a bitch, but that doesn't bother me. Any pros cons?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 330. Not sure what guitar you're trading but Ricks hold their value pretty well. Changing strings with the "R" tailpiece is indeed a bitch.

If you like the sound they're known for you'll probably love it. What did you think of the 620 you played? All Ricks are more/less similar, in the way that Gibsons and Fenders are. They have a unique feel, one that can be a bit static and unnatural if that makes any sense. This feeling added to its mythical charm when I first got my 330, but now that I've had it for 7 years I've realized I just find other guitars easier to play and I'm thinking of selling it. It seems this is the case for most ric guitar players, even the famous ones like Marr, Townsend, and Weller....it's always just a phase, but sometimes it can be your best phase.
George

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still want a 620/6 jetglo. i owned a 12 string 620 for a few weeks and didn't like it at all but that's more about the nut width on a 12 (which i find regressive and luddite-ish on rickenbacker's behalf). maybe the 660/12 (mega bucks) is a dream yet to be fulfilled

i get what people mean when they say they're unusual and jarring to hold and play. the fingerboard is decidedly far from the body and the raised pickguards and all sorts of weird things are going on compared to most guitar constructions. will always be a big fan of the look and sound even if i'm not playing them
sunshiner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 360/6 opinions Reply with quote

71Smallbox wrote:
Hello All. I have very little experience with Ricks, I've only played a 620 once. I like the look and the sound of these, but I have yet to try one out. A local guy is willing to trade for one of my other guitars. I understand changing the strings can be a bitch, but that doesn't bother me. Any pros cons?

Nobody cares how your Rickenbacker sounds, if you are wearing coat indoors and saying f...ck on central television
singlepup

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually love the fretboards on most Rics. They're really fast, which makes them easy and fun to play. Also love those Smiths tones. However, they lack a certain something... A bit too sterile? I have toyed with the idea of getting a Ric, but I've never been able to pull the trigger.
71Smallbox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the 360/6 now. I saw a 360/12 at a Guitar Center that I could trade straight for. I've played a 360/12 once and it was nice, no probs with the fretboard or width, etc. I had completely forgotten that when I posted, I just completely blanked. Anyway the guitar I would trade for it would be a 96 Les Paul Standard. I don't know if that would be a fair trade on my end, I don't really know the value of Ricks.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singlepup wrote:
I actually love the fretboards on most Rics. They're really fast, which makes them easy and fun to play. Also love those Smiths tones. However, they lack a certain something... A bit too sterile? I have toyed with the idea of getting a Ric, but I've never been able to pull the trigger.
yeah....I know what you mean. I always feel like it's that bridge that does it. Has a very brittle character. I've thought of adding a trem unit and different bridge like a mastery to mine but it seems like it'd be blasphemous even though it'd probably make it a guitar I actually enjoy playing more.
singlepup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to this conclusion a while back: if you don't enjoy playing a guitar, mod it or sell it ASAP.

Also, I think a Les Paul Std for a 360/12 is a fair trade.
Rayjaysonic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 330 6 string and I love it. It is a bit of strange thing the first time you play one, you need to spend a bit of time to get to know it. But it's worth the effort, its an instrument that rewards patience and will hold its value better than most.

Changing the strings isn't a big deal, I have re-strung a few 12 string Ricks in my time, just use a capo on the neck to keep the tension on the string whilst you feed it through the tuners, stops it falling out of the tailpiece.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayjaysonic wrote:
I have a 330 6 string and I love it. It is a bit of strange thing the first time you play one, you need to spend a bit of time to get to know it. But it's worth the effort, its an instrument that rewards patience and will hold its value better than most.

Changing the strings isn't a big deal, I have re-strung a few 12 string Ricks in my time, just use a capo on the neck to keep the tension on the string whilst you feed it through the tuners, stops it falling out of the tailpiece.

Why did I never think of that?
Rayjaysonic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Rayjaysonic wrote:

Why did I never think of that?

It works a treat on re-stringing a Bigsby as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: