ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Experiences with Gibson Firebird HP? (NGD w photo bomb)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Experiences with Gibson Firebird HP? (NGD w photo bomb) Reply with quote

Anyone experience how Gibson's Firebird HP balances compared to their Firebird T model? I have a 2016 T and she balances perfectly, but I'm curious how moving the strap position may affect balance. I had always heard or read that Firebird's were neck heavy and prone to diving, but my experience with the T doesn't bear that out. Here's pics of where Gibson moved the upper strap button. The T model is on the left side and the HP on the right.

Seems that moving the strap button out to the upper horn and with the added weight of the G force tuning system at the headstock that it would upset the balance. No one in my area stocks these, so it's unlikely that I'll ever get the chance to find out for myself.

Thanks,

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

Last edited by speedfish on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
sunshiner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wasn't an NGD thread with photobombs and technically you don't have no Firebird, so no one here is supposed to reply to your question until you fix that

Last edited by sunshiner on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Epiphone Firebird. I put the strap button behind the neck and it's awesome, one of my favourite guitars.

Upper horn button is for idiots: it'll pop out and the guitar will fall to the ground if you don't have strap locks, and if you do have strap locks it'll be extremely uncomfortable and unbalanced.
speedfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakir Mustache wrote:
I have an Epiphone Firebird. I put the strap button behind the neck and it's awesome, one of my favourite guitars.

Upper horn button is for idiots: it'll pop out and the guitar will fall to the ground if you don't have strap locks, and if you do have strap locks it'll be extremely uncomfortable and unbalanced.

That's what I figured.

Thanks,

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshiner wrote:
There wasn't an NGD thread with photobombs and technically you don't have no Firebird, so no one here is supposed to reply to your question until you fix that

^ this... I shall now remain silent on the subject, until you rectify your mishandling of the situation.
dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakir Mustache wrote:

Obey the rules...
speedfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote:

Obey the rules...

THIS IS SHORTSCALE! THERE ARE NO FUCKING RULES!

sunshiner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST POST THEM PHOTOS!!!
dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one rule and that rule is: worthless without pics
speedfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote:

Obey the rules...

UNCLE! UNCLE! YOU WIN! YOU WIN! I GIVE IN!

Acquired this one last December.

dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice... this should have had its own thread.
sunshiner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I guess a good match to a Supersonic?
sunshiner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
Nice... this should have had its own thread.

Yes!
Rox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Experiences with Gibson Firebird HP? (NGD w photo bomb) Reply with quote

speedfish wrote:
Anyone experience how Gibson's Firebird HP balances compared to their Firebird T model? I have a 2016 T and she balances perfectly, but I'm curious how moving the strap position may affect balance. I had always heard or read that Firebird's were neck heavy and prone to diving, but my experience with the T doesn't bear that out. Here's pics of where Gibson moved the upper strap button. The T model is on the left side and the HP on the right.

Seems that moving the strap button out to the upper horn and with the added weight of the G force tuning system at the headstock that it would upset the balance. No one in my area stocks these, so it's unlikely that I'll ever get the chance to find out for myself.

Thanks,

I've played it. Typical nose heavy Gibson with a wraparound bridge. Needed a setup but it sounded decent. It was a pistachio green (couldn't call it seafoam).. Looked pretty cool. Would I buy it? Probably not. You're talking THIS,right?

speedfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshiner wrote:
Nice! I guess a good match to a Supersonic?

Side by side they look similar, but the Firebird is more ergonomic. I wish that the Supersonic's pickup switch was in the same position as the Firebird's. I also like the way my right arm meets the body better on the Firebird when it's hanging from the strap, but yes they do compliment one another very well.

speedfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Experiences with Gibson Firebird HP? (NGD w photo bomb) Reply with quote

Rox wrote:
speedfish wrote:

Thanks,

I've played it. Typical nose heavy Gibson with a wraparound bridge. Needed a setup but it sounded decent. It was a pistachio green (couldn't call it seafoam).. Looked pretty cool. Would I buy it? Probably not. You're talking THIS,right?

No it's the "T-model" vs the "HP model":

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/2017-Firebird-HP-Electric-Guitar.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/2017-Firebird-T-Electric-Guitar.gc

The Firebird Zero is very cool though and has the strap button in the same position as the Firebird HP. My Firebird T isn't nose heavy in the least. Perfectly balanced.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: