ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

NPD: mcpherson Red Llama Clone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: NPD: mcpherson Red Llama Clone Reply with quote

So, a while back my brother sent me a pedal by a small New Zealand builder called mcpherson. I love that pedal and it's always on my board now.

He sent me another, and I have no idea what it is. I've just got home late and can't plug it in either.

It's in a really weird enclosure that I don't recognise. Anyone ever seen this? I'd assumed it was something repurposed.

It might be a Red Llama. I think my brother mentioned one before and I think this guy does custom/one-off stuff occasionally.

Last edited by Bacchus on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
NickS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that chip says CD4049UBE, it's a lama.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted!

Any thoughts on the enclosure?

Just had a play. It's a lot of fun, but is a little different than I expected. With gain up high and volume low, the gain knob doesn't give that much gain and it sounds a little dull. It seems to only really come to life once the volume is up a bit, then it really comes good. I think it's more like a dirty boost than a distortion, where you dial in the volume you want then add dirt, rather than trying to find the tone you want then balancing it with the volume like in a lot of other pedals. It feels like the volume knob is a treble knob too. With the gain down and volume up it gives a very trebly boost. With both knobs up a bit it's brilliant. Nice and crumbly and trebly, never really saturated but sounds great and valvey. Brilliant Rory Gallagher tones, kind of spiky and trebly. I suspect it would sound better with a cranked amp. With my Matamp configured to only one output valve running in triode mode it still got really loud, too loud for playing in a one bedroom flat! Would love to get a chance to push hard with it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to be an enclosure that's generally available e.g. via Alibaba. The Red Llama circuit is designed for a maximum gain of x11 so you might not find that massive; it seems to be designed as a boost/overdriver rather than a fuzz. It only uses 2 of the 6 inverter/amplifiers in the chip. A trick sometimes used is to put devices in parallel to reduce noise; I wonder whether anyone has tried a version with three inverters in parallel in each stage.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really don't need another dirt/drive pedal on my board (currently have mcpherson Red Boost into MBM Dreambox), particularly given the quality of overdrive I can get from my amp, but this is making me reconsider. There's an awful lot of definition, even when I have the overdrive on on my amp with as much gain as it can give.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: