ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiWiki   ShortScale RadioRadio  ShortScale WikiBuilder

Ebony and Ivory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
westtexasred

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Ebony and Ivory Reply with quote

My new(used) Les Paul Studio Alpine White with an Ebony fretboard. I got from Guitar Center to replace the fucked up Silvertone I took back.

Hidden: 

Last edited by westtexasred on Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
westtexasred

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guitar is pretty much mint except for some little pink stains on the back of the neck. I have read that this caused by "grain filler" bleeding through the nitro(?). Maybe that is why the guitar was only $549.

Hidden: 

paul_

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westtexasred wrote:
This guitar is pretty much mint except for some little pink stains on the back of the neck. I have read that this caused by "grain filler" bleeding through the nitro(?).

Newer finishes from the early '00s and up wouldn't do that grain filler thing, and the mark on your neck screams two much more common scenarios to me:

Rubber guitar stand reacting with the topcoat (specifically the placement and shape of the mark on your guitar has me leaning harder in this direction)

-or-

Guitar placed in tan/pink case at the factory after a fresh finish was applied (this became common with the faster production of white Gibsons in the '00s which is why they started coming with black cases and a mix of black/grey/white lining).

This is what the case damage usually looked like:

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
westtexasred

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
westtexasred wrote:
This guitar is pretty much mint except for some little pink stains on the back of the neck. I have read that this caused by "grain filler" bleeding through the nitro(?).

Newer finishes from the early '00s and up wouldn't do that grain filler thing, and the mark on your neck screams two much more common scenarios to me:

Rubber guitar stand reacting with the topcoat (specifically the placement and shape of the mark on your guitar has me leaning harder in this direction)

-or-

Guitar placed in tan/pink case at the factory after a fresh finish was applied (this became common with the faster production of white Gibsons in the '00s which is why they started coming with black cases and a mix of black/grey/white lining).

Thanks Paul. It must be from a rubber guitar stand because my guitar is a 2011 and came in the case with a white lining.

paul_

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 2011 unlikely to be case damage then... nice ebony board though, by 2011 I think only the white ones came with it.

Sexy guitar. Dave Grohl made Alpine/Gold my original fave colour scheme for Gibbos in the mid '90s, he only had an SG and LP and both were white customs.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
westtexasred

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,I think I wanted a white Les Paul because of The Sex Pistols.

paul_

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's a special one, I made my only white Les Paul (Korean Epi Custom) out like that same guitar but with Dimarzios, and more due to Sylvain Sylvain. It's actually a lot more aged and off-white in person and all the gold has worn off or been replaced.

robertOG wrote:
jcyphe

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man himself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: