ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

recommend me some shitty synths (casios and the like)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Musical Miscellany
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it makes these sounds:

https://youtu.be/EE8BipqbsXk
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nick
Y'SEE!?


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 7971
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
Taking this thread back to it's roots I can now thoroughly recommend the Yamaha PSS 470 as a great "shitty synth" picked one up for 20 at a charity shop earlier this week... Like a ghetto DX.


I somehow missed this. I bought this very same synth at a yard sale for $5 back on page 1. I still love it! Very fun easy to tweak synth.

Since making this thread I have had some fun adventures in casio/yamaha land. I sold the DX-21 on reverb and broke even. Just way too clunky both weight/size and interface wise for me. In one yardsale saturday morning last fall I picked up a Casio PT-80 (monophonic synth that sounds very much like an original gameboy) for $12, a Casio MT-500 with damaged rhythm section (unfortunate since it's one of the best features, the contacts to the pads could probably be cleaned but I opened it up and there's a maze of circuit boards and a billion screws before you get to them), and a Yamaha PSR-225 (a standard late 90's/00's consumer grade keybaord) for FREE because the people thought it didn't work (it works!). The latter one is actually a lot of fun because the batteries last forever and it has so many different sounds. No it's not a MOTIF but it was also free so I can't argue.

This weekend I picked up a Yamaha PSS-140 for $15 at a yardsale, in the box with the manual, packaging sleeve, etc. The price points at which I pick these up is funny to me, I'll spend as much but no more than $20 on one, but usually the best ones are the cheapest and vice versa. This one looks a lot like my PSS-80, only it's 2OP FM presets instead of waveform. Also has drum pads. Some of the presets are really cool and glitchy, I think it would be fun to run through a looper and really fatten up some of the tones.


I think I may try to sell my Casio 202 and 701 in the near future.
_________________
https://hauntedcat.bandcamp.com/album/haunted-cat-3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
Taking this thread back to it's roots I can now thoroughly recommend the Yamaha PSS 470 as a great "shitty synth" picked one up for 20 at a charity shop earlier this week... Like a ghetto DX.


I somehow missed this. I bought this very same synth at a yard sale for $5 back on page 1. I still love it! Very fun easy to tweak synth.

Since making this thread I have had some fun adventures in casio/yamaha land. I sold the DX-21 on reverb and broke even. Just way too clunky both weight/size and interface wise for me. In one yardsale saturday morning last fall I picked up a Casio PT-80 (monophonic synth that sounds very much like an original gameboy) for $12, a Casio MT-500 with damaged rhythm section (unfortunate since it's one of the best features, the contacts to the pads could probably be cleaned but I opened it up and there's a maze of circuit boards and a billion screws before you get to them), and a Yamaha PSR-225 (a standard late 90's/00's consumer grade keybaord) for FREE because the people thought it didn't work (it works!). The latter one is actually a lot of fun because the batteries last forever and it has so many different sounds. No it's not a MOTIF but it was also free so I can't argue.

This weekend I picked up a Yamaha PSS-140 for $15 at a yardsale, in the box with the manual, packaging sleeve, etc. The price points at which I pick these up is funny to me, I'll spend as much but no more than $20 on one, but usually the best ones are the cheapest and vice versa. This one looks a lot like my PSS-80, only it's 2OP FM presets instead of waveform. Also has drum pads. Some of the presets are really cool and glitchy, I think it would be fun to run through a looper and really fatten up some of the tones.


I think I may try to sell my Casio 202 and 701 in the near future.


Does position 4 on the 'wave' slider work on yours on mine 3 and 4 sound pretty much identical all the others change the sound quite a bit.
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting into these dodgy wee synths have another on on the way... bought a replacement for my first sampler.
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it arrived this morning and I Fucking love it been a while since I had so much fun of the bat with a new bit of kit.




Loads of stuff on it I had no idea about when I was a kid - the on-board sounds are a bit cheesy but you can import them directly into the sampler and really mess them up you can also layer them with sounds sampled from the Mic and assign them to different parts of the keyboard.
Really good for making ambient soundscapes for adding atmosphere

And the best feature is the auto sample when you sample thought the line in... did I mention I fucking love this thing

And to think I used to just sample my self swearing when I had my original one...
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BearBoy
.
.


Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 5187
Location: Location: Location

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
And to think I used to just sample my self swearing when I had my original one...


LOL. I remember Saturdays in Dixons getting the demo Casio SK-1 to say "fuck" or "bollocks" at a variety of different pitches whilst getting ready to leg it if one of the staff clocked us.
_________________
Fran wrote:
I love how this place is basic as fuck.

ekwatts wrote:
I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stewart
Cunning Linguist


Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 17625
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing EVERYONE does on a SK-1 is sample themselves saying "fuck". i got mine when i was like, 29 and did exactly that.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool shit it can do (other than fuck and bollocks)

https://youtu.be/wyxKDLVWL28

https://youtu.be/URZA0SyNIVI

These are both vss 30's but the 200 does the same business
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been messing around getting used to the inner workings

8 bit mellotron

http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/138/Kraftwerk.mp3
http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/138/Strawberry%20fields.mp3

Forgive the rusty playing
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my cheap mini key synth fetish has struck again, was through a my mates setting up the gretsch he got from his local crack converters (posted pics ages ago) so I thought I'd pay a visit to said shop on the way home and ended up buying a Casio HT-700. My 3rd acquisition in the past month, while it's a much cheaper pastime than buying guitars (the 3 synths have cost me just over 70) they do take up a fair bit of space, need to put up some new studio shelving to house them ... I'll post some pics once I've cleaned it up it's currently on the bench in the garage.
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fakir Mustache
.
.


Joined: 25 Sep 2013
Posts: 3281

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
Been messing around getting used to the inner workings

8 bit mellotron

http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/138/Kraftwerk.mp3
http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/138/Strawberry%20fields.mp3

Forgive the rusty playing

You can't save those sounds in memory, can you?

Sounds pretty good, but I read that you have to put in pause and not have the sample start right away in order to emulate a real Mellotron.
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
I only buy synths with mini keys as I like the shortscale synths.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakir Mustache wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
Been messing around getting used to the inner workings

8 bit mellotron

http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/138/Kraftwerk.mp3
http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/138/Strawberry%20fields.mp3

Forgive the rusty playing

You can't save those sounds in memory, can you?

Sounds pretty good, but I read that you have to put in pause and not have the sample start right away in order to emulate a real Mellotron.


You can't save them but I could add a pause, I'm not a fan of presets so not being able to save them isn't a big deal... although if you created a sound you loved you'd just gave to record a middle C then resample it when you wanted to use it.
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic of my 3rd acquisition the Mighty Casio HT-700


_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4118
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really even cool enough to be called a 'synth' but we've been using a Yamaha PSR-210 in Beige Palace for aaggeess. Love it so much that when ours shit the bed we scoured eBay for the exact same model, despite being donated a pretty similar shitty Yamaha by a friend (it just didn't sound the saame). At this point it's pretty much the backbone of all our heavier songs, for example: Don't Stall Your Car.

One of these fellas:

_________________
BEIGE PALACE // PUDDIN' // THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddy V-C wrote:
Not really even cool enough to be called a 'synth' but we've been using a Yamaha PSR-210 in Beige Palace for aaggeess. Love it so much that when ours shit the bed we scoured eBay for the exact same model, despite being donated a pretty similar shitty Yamaha by a friend (it just didn't sound the saame). At this point it's pretty much the backbone of all our heavier songs, for example: Don't Stall Your Car.

One of these fellas:


Cool sounds... full sized keys though, I only do teh Shortscales.
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stewart
Cunning Linguist


Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 17625
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found a PSR in the bin on my street a while back, can't remember the model number though (currently out at my parents' house in the garage). cleaned it up, it works fine. it doesn't have midi though, so is zero use to me.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stewart wrote:
i found a PSR in the bin on my street a while back, can't remember the model number though (currently out at my parents' house in the garage). cleaned it up, it works fine. it doesn't have midi though, so is zero use to me.


Two out of the 3 I bought don't have midi... but neither does my guitar... or my gran's piano.
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stewart
Cunning Linguist


Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 17625
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't mind no midi if it has useable sounds, but PSRs like that tend not to have any.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7349
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stewart wrote:
i don't mind no midi if it has useable sounds, but PSRs like that tend not to have any.


Fair point... I quite like the fact that my wee VSS doesn't have midi and no save function forces you to just do something with it and commit.
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4118
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pretty much use the Baritone Sax sound and nothing else. But that one sounds ace.
_________________
BEIGE PALACE // PUDDIN' // THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Musical Miscellany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 616951 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!