ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiWiki   ShortScale RadioRadio  ShortScale WikiBuilder

New Old Rig Day: seeing the sense and eating humble pie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progrockabuse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: New Old Rig Day: seeing the sense and eating humble pie. Reply with quote

the dual terror rig returns. i've been using a JTM45 and 2x12 cab for a while, which at the time was amazing but had it's issues.
1: it was way too fucking loud to crank up at the local pub. No master volume so it's either loud or nothing.
2: didn't really sound great with an attenuator
3: for the past year i've been using An Xotic SL drive to basically give me the sound of a cranked Marshall through a clean Marshall kinda defeating the object.
4: it's never really sat right in the band. it occupied quite a chunk of sonic space and didn't have that loved mid ranged that the band said sat right in the mix and didn't get in the way of the bass and everything else.

i spent a lot of money buying all sorts of guitars/amps/pedals etc over the past couple of years to the point of struggling financially to support me and efty. i inherited some money left to me and went crazy with out thinking about the future.
Pretty much all the gear i had has now gone save for two of my strats, the Marshall rig and literally two pedals. So to finally finish getting back on track, i've managed to sell the Marshall rig and rebuy my old rig back from my singer and the leftover money will settle the last of my money issues. plus the bonus is that efty will finally start her NHS job after being rejected after uni due to experience, so we can start saving again.

in all this, the one thing i never tried was when i got my first custom shop strat the one that started this whole mess) was to plug it into my orange rig in the first place. had i done this and realised how fucking amazing it is and that i should of never sold it, i might of never gotten in this mess.

lesson learned, got burned but it's getting better all the time.
Dual terror user #1

https://www.facebook.com/WeatheredEye
http://weatheredeyeband.co.uk/
NickD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Old Rig Day: seeing the sense and eating humble pie. Reply with quote

Progrockabuse wrote:

2: didn't really sound great with an attenuator

Interesting - even using the boost switches?

Mine sounds great with the attenuator - as long as I use the switches - hence me recommending it - but although I'm using a non MV Marshall mine is half the power yours was, and the rest of my rig is totally different.

You ended the journey with the right CS Strat though. I have to say, the R9 killed any GAS I had, I have 4 guitars, and haven't bought any gear since 2015.

Glad Efty has the job stuff sorted. Doing all that training and not getting jobs because of a lack of experience is crazy. How can you get experience without getting jobs...
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What attenuators have you guys been using?
NickD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weber Minimass 50w in my case. I'm pretty sure Rob used exactly the same one. Mine has been faultless, I think he suffered some reliability issues.

I'm using mine on an 18w Marshall, but it is basically my only amp, so has to go pretty quiet while still running wide open sometimes.
dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noob style question how do these work?

The internet is ruining the internet.
Doog
Felted gremlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bit.ly/2uvsKaO

Definitely sounds like a huge step in a good direction, Rob mate; especially if you're able to use the gearcash for good family stuff again. Great news about Efty's work situ too, big love x
singlepup

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good Rob; I've also had some fancy rigs and gone back to the simple stuff. It's fun to go crazy if you have a bit of extra cash, but it's also good to learn that none of that stuff is necessary to get a great sound.

It doesn't matter if you end up right back where you started. The journey is the important part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: