ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Replacing behind the nut locking nut...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Replacing behind the nut locking nut... Reply with quote

Had a Kahler installed on my first electric back in the early 80's. I was never happy with the shoddy job that the luthier did on the locking nut. He butchered my headstock and placed the locking nut to far away from the string nut, so that I couldn't access the Truss rod nut without completely removing the locking nut!

Here's what I replaced the original locking nut with:

https://www.kahlerusa.com/guitar-tremolo-and-bridge/5513-string-lock-standard

Removed the old above the nut string lock. I plugged the holes with toothpicks, clipped and sanded them flat, then installed the new string lock and truss rod cover. As you can see from my poor pics the truss rod can be accessed now without removing the stringlock.

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
MatthewK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dammit man, I am not a locking trem kind of guy but I salute good work when I see it. Hope you're pleased with your fix, looks like it was well executed.
speedfish

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewK wrote:
Well dammit man, I am not a locking trem kind of guy but I salute good work when I see it. Hope you're pleased with your fix, looks like it was well executed.

I'm not really into locking trems either. Indiscretions of my youth. Young and dumb. Crying or Very sad

But, I am happy with the end result. Wish that I could've completely hidden the extra holes, but they definitely don't jump off the headstock like they did before.

Thanks,

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
jamba72

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting..that Electra Paula is one of the nicer old japanese ones I think..

On my old Gordon Smith I originally had a Kahler Trem with locking nuts..I removed it completley, filled the trem cavity and installed a custom made bone nut instead of that old sharp brass nut like you have..much better now tonewise and more stable..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: