ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Wiring suggestions for Jaguar pickup replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BridgerHumbucker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Wiring suggestions for Jaguar pickup replacement Reply with quote

Hello
I plan on changing my Squire Jaguar's single coils to 2 Dimarzio humbuckers (a Steve Morse in the lead and a Super 2 in the rhythm)
I've found more than a few wiring schematics for the Jaguar, but was wondering if anyone out there has had
experience with changing singles coils to Humbuckers? It would seem pretty straight forward ( just replacing hot and ground wires)
but I was wondering if anyone had any advice ( or alternate wiring diagrams?).
Thanks
Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, just in case you didn't know, a full size humbucker won't fit without routing. A stacked coil, Strat-size humbucker should, though.

As for wiring, it is indeed as simple as just replacing hot and ground wires. A lot of humbuckers though (DiMarzio included) are 4- or 5-wire setups, for purposes of splitting coils, changing phase, doing other fancy things. For your typical always-on, straight up humbucker sound, there will be two wires you need to tie together, then tape off and ignore. Which wires those are depend on which pickup you go with.
BridgerHumbucker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon wrote:
Firstly, just in case you didn't know, a full size humbucker won't fit without routing. A stacked coil, Strat-size humbucker should, though.

As for wiring, it is indeed as simple as just replacing hot and ground wires. A lot of humbuckers though (DiMarzio included) are 4- or 5-wire setups, for purposes of splitting coils, changing phase, doing other fancy things. For your typical always-on, straight up humbucker sound, there will be two wires you need to tie together, then tape off and ignore. Which wires those are depend on which pickup you go with.

I'm going to just wire it straight up ground and hot, nothing fancy. I was just wondering with the spread out wiring system of a Jaguar, if there was anything to look out for.
For this kind of wiring, the standard Dimarzio 4 wire system should apply (bare and green to ground, red to hot and white and black soldered together and taped off) And Yep I'm all ready to route, just waiting for my pickguard from Warmoth to show up so I can use it as a template.
So Thank you Dillon for showing me what you got Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: