ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Submarine pickup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Submarine pickup. Reply with quote

I don't remember seeing a thrad on this thing. Looks like it could take time to find a dual output/FX thingy-of-choice balance work right, but would sure be fun to mess about with.

Link

Link
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have considered one of these for a while, but they're kinda spendy for the end outcome. Very nice form-factor, though.

Still wanna do a DIY version for my acoustic (so I can start doing weird lo-fi stuff live), but depends how exact cheapo pickup polepieces are, I guess.

I think someone from here bought one, having a UK Scaler send it on?
benecol
Best Poster 2010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WAS THAT KINDLY UK POSTER. And I sent it to singlepup.
dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benecol wrote:
I WAS THAT KINDLY UK POSTER. And I sent it to singlepup.

Was about to say Singlepup has one.
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he only has a singlepup and its the Submarine, does that mean he can only hear his E and A strings??
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably he had a pickup to begin with.

He is now one and one third pickup.
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He only needed one pickup then became a dad and needed a tiny pickup for teh baby...
mkt3000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... Local H?

Link

paul_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually an even more Local H type thing out:

Link

edit- actually not more like the Local H setup than the submarine is, a built-in pitch shifter, nvm

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs down for the built-in octaver, totally limiting having it all come out of the same output and it means full on converting your guitar. I'd sooner go for the Boss OC-3 with the somewhat-functional "Range" dial set to match your low strings.

Submarine is winning this one, I think.
singlepup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I have been summoned? Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, Benecol was kind enough to send me a Submarine pickup (thanks again!), which I still use regularly. Works great for the Local H thing, which is my focus since I am a solo artist who wishes he weren't. I haven't tried it on the high strings, but sure it does well there too.

The main drawback of the Submarine is the "gecko tape" or whatever it's called. Once you get a little dirt on the adhesive, it doesn't stick nearly as well. Not ideal for repositioning or switching back and forth between instruments. I ended up peeling the gecko tape off entirely and using those removable adhesive wall mounts on my pickguard. Not quite as pretty, but much more practical.

Now here's where it gets interesting: I'm using the Submarine with a Boss OC-3. I chose the OC-3 after spending time with a MicroPog (yuck) and a Digitech Drop (even worse). The Boss had the best bass tone for me, albeit I like a slightly synthy bass tone. When using the Submarine, there is really no need to use the "range" dial that Doog mentioned.

However, the range dial is fairly functional when not using the Submarine. I'm starting to get into alternate tunings, and I want to have multiple guit-basses ready to go. I won't be switching the Submarine around due to the adhesive. Instead, I will go ahead and use the OC-3's dial. You can completely rid yourself of the DGBE strings, although you'll also rid yourself of all sound on the A string above the 12th fret in the process. I think this would be useful for most people trying to accomplish what I am doing.

I'm very happy with my current low end setup. Now back to buying more guitar pedals and finding a good drum machine! If anyone has questions regarding these topics, please feel free to PM me. As I said, this has been my main musical focus for over a year.

Here's an OC-3 video that inspired me:

Link
singlepup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the singlepup moniker: when I first joined shortscale, my primary instruments were a Musicmaster, a Musicmaster bass, and 1950's Kay with (you guessed it) just one pickup. I have since sold all three instruments.

I actually began using the Submarine with my Jagmaster. Tough to squeeze it between two humbuckers!

Recently I completed an under-the-radar trade with HNB. He received my Jag-Stang in exchange for a beautiful project Esquire (refinished vintage body, Warmouth neck). And hence my singlepup days began again. The Submarine fits perfectly in the Esquire's neck position. As if it were meant to be...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: