ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiWiki   ShortScale RadioRadio  ShortScale WikiBuilder

Mustang TOM shim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mustang25

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Mustang TOM shim Reply with quote

I'm putting a gotoh tune o matic bridge on my mustang and was wondering what the best degree of shim would work best.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it was always a trial and error thing but you'll be surprised how much a thin piece of card for a shim changes the angle. Start with a piece of card from something like a cigarette packet or cereal box.
You only need a 10mm strip the width of the neck pocket, at the body end of the pocket.

I try to do this with the old strings still attached. Just loosen them, then the neck plate, then just gently lift out the neck and put the shim in place. Whilst the strings and neck is loose put the TOM into place and make sure it is at its lowest point using the bridge post screws.
Put it back together and tune the strings.
If the action is still high double the shim thickness, if the action is too low just raise the TOM until you are happy with it.
It may take a few attempts to get it right.

Freddy V-C wrote:
But yeah in practice I'm basically an idiot who lives in a giant bin lol.

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Noirie.
YOUTH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a big shim. I tried myself and it was lots of trial and error. 4 bits of business card cut down worked ok.

You

Back to fags, pints of Carling and filling people in at the weekends. Love it Cool
George

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it on a Mustang and it was a ridiculous shim that didn't feel safe, but yes, trial and error, and certain TOMs have different heights themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: