ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiWiki   ShortScale RadioRadio  ShortScale WikiBuilder

VHT SPECIAL 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: VHT SPECIAL 6 Reply with quote

So who's got a VHT Special 6 and is willing to give us a few comments?

http://chasingtone.com/yourguitaramp/youramp-reviews/vht-special-6-review/
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Moollon we picked one up ahead of time to use at NAMM and have since given it loads of annual mileage since then.

Like other little combos, the Special 6 is quite practical in a loud showroom like NAMM when you need a smallish semi-directional box that can point at someone sitting down, all while having decent breakup without exploding your face off. Reminded me a lot of a Champ at first, but with time found it to have a little more meaty fatness about it that really shines with a decent EQ pedal right in front of it, and the Tone knob is actually quite usable. When you turn things up it stays a bit less messy than a Marshall Class5, and has none of the annoying circuit-native noise of a Pro Junior. Boss liked it so much that the Special 6 is now the low-wattage test amp for guitars+pedals at the Moollon shop, when he doesn't want to turn on something as loud as the PA-20 or Bluesbreaker.
Doug

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultratwin wrote:
At Moollon we picked one up ahead of time to use at NAMM and have since given it loads of annual mileage since then.

Like other little combos, the Special 6 is quite practical in a loud showroom like NAMM when you need a smallish semi-directional box that can point at someone sitting down, all while having decent breakup without exploding your face off. Reminded me a lot of a Champ at first, but with time found it to have a little more meaty fatness about it that really shines with a decent EQ pedal right in front of it, and the Tone knob is actually quite usable. When you turn things up it stays a bit less messy than a Marshall Class5, and has none of the annoying circuit-native noise of a Pro Junior. Boss liked it so much that the Special 6 is now the low-wattage test amp for guitars+pedals at the Moollon shop, when he doesn't want to turn on something as loud as the PA-20 or Bluesbreaker.

Thanks, Ultratwin. Your description is in line with the reviews I've read, But I like your language which is personal; not like an article for publication. So now tell me this before I go test drive one...how's the gain or distortion?
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to recall in detail the gain tone in specific, and really nice cleans turning into angry little box is unfortunately the best I can do from memory.

But it did take all kinds of pedals and varying amounts of boost quite nicely, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: