ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiWiki   ShortScale RadioRadio  ShortScale WikiBuilder

Incoming NPD: Violet rams head muff clone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Concretebadger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Incoming NPD: Violet rams head muff clone Reply with quote

As a Christmas present to myself, now that I've finished shopping for the family, I've bought another muff off the 'bay.

According to conventional wisdom, the violet version is a bit brighter and higher-gain than is normal for triangles and rams heads, so I'm expecting it will pair up well with darker-voiced amps.

I know nothing about the builder (I was planning to order one from North Effects, but he's sadly off the grid atm due to relocation and I'm not sure when he'll be making pedals again). It's going to be 25 plus postage and the enclosure is painted a nice fetching shade of purple, so as a last resort it's a Hammond box that I can use for future projects. I'm just curious as to how it sounds alongside my clones of the triangle, IC and Russian I guess. Razz

-NickS
Concretebadger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that was fast. It was shipped on Monday by second class post, but arrived this morning Shocked

First impressions, based on other muff versions I have at home: lots of gain, but less of the "choked" decay to the notes that you get from the NYC reissues. There's a lot of volume on tap - possibly the most I've found from a Muff. The sound has a tight bottom end and the treble has more bite and sizzle than the Triangle. It's somewhat harsher than the smooth low-middy tone of a Russian, but a bit less grit than an IC. The only odd thing about this particular one is that the tone knob works in the opposite direction (i.e. clockwise for bass, anti-clockwise for treble).

The general build quality is solid enough, but it's clearly a kit-built thing rather than a top-of-the-line boutique box. Between that and the fast postage though, it's perfectly satisfactory for the price I paid for it (less than 30: I expected other people to bid, but no one did).

-NickS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: