ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Anyone have any experience with chiptune?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Musical Miscellany
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kingkiller
.
.


Joined: 02 Jun 2017
Posts: 700
Location: Dumbtown, Florida

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Anyone have any experience with chiptune? Reply with quote

I’ve been on a weird lo-fi “hip-hop” (I hate that genre descriptor)/bubbly electronica kick and I’ve been doing a small bit of reading about making chiptune, does anyone have any experience with the equipment necessary? I’ve thought about picking up a GameBoy and a tracker, but I think there are trackers that emulate sound chips of old computers that can be used in DAWs?
_________________
Al_ wrote:
I prefer to squeeze balls.


paul_ wrote:
Megadeth is just Infowars with palm muting and sweep picking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fakir Mustache
.
.


Joined: 25 Sep 2013
Posts: 3307

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of cool to use the real equipment.

But there's also one of the synths in lmms (it's free) that has chipsounds, and also a free C64 plug in synth that exists that you can download somewhere. And C64 emulators.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingkiller
.
.


Joined: 02 Jun 2017
Posts: 700
Location: Dumbtown, Florida

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakir Mustache wrote:
It's kind of cool to use the real equipment.

But there's also one of the synths in lmms (it's free) that has chipsounds, and also a free C64 plug in synth that exists that you can download somewhere. And C64 emulators.


I gave lmms a quick look just now, definitely going to have to download that tonight when I get home from work. I’m all for free creative software. If any C64 emulator will work, I’m going to have to browse for a few of those as well.
_________________
Al_ wrote:
I prefer to squeeze balls.


paul_ wrote:
Megadeth is just Infowars with palm muting and sweep picking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zack
.
.


Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 699
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used lsdj in the past, both emulated and on a cartridge. It took awhile to get used to the interface but there's a lot of cool shit you can do with it if you're specifically looking for the gameboy sound. You can also import samples into the rom and use them in the wav channel iirc.

I'd recommend trying the rom and then if you're super into it you can get an old gameboy & cartridge. A lot of people who use their gameboys for music get them altered with backlights and "high quality" sound outputs. Could be a cool project.

There's also nanoloop, but I don't have enough experience with it to recommend it.

You'd need to do the research but I believe there are old synths with the same chips as older video game consoles, though I bet they're a bit costly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zack
.
.


Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 699
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might find some interest in this channel for keyboards with sounds you might be looking for.

8-bit keys
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingkiller
.
.


Joined: 02 Jun 2017
Posts: 700
Location: Dumbtown, Florida

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack wrote:
I've used lsdj in the past, both emulated and on a cartridge. It took awhile to get used to the interface but there's a lot of cool shit you can do with it if you're specifically looking for the gameboy sound. You can also import samples into the rom and use them in the wav channel iirc.

I'd recommend trying the rom and then if you're super into it you can get an old gameboy & cartridge. A lot of people who use their gameboys for music get them altered with backlights and "high quality" sound outputs. Could be a cool project.

There's also nanoloop, but I don't have enough experience with it to recommend it.

You'd need to do the research but I believe there are old synths with the same chips as older video game consoles, though I bet they're a bit costly.


I’ve been playing a bit with FamiTracker, but I’ll have to try that too. I’m just experimenting with sounds for now
_________________
Al_ wrote:
I prefer to squeeze balls.


paul_ wrote:
Megadeth is just Infowars with palm muting and sweep picking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Musical Miscellany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 621763 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!