ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

I need cheap vintage style klusons without the split post!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Supersonicman
.
.


Joined: 27 Nov 2010
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: I need cheap vintage style klusons without the split post! Reply with quote

I just can't get along with that Safe-T post design on my Jag-Stang. I need a somewhat cheap alternative that will drop right in with posts similar to (http://www.puresalemguitars.com/models/reverberation/). Any one know of any machines without that design? It'll make life much easier for me and my Jag-stang and Tele
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3194
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the easiest to use machine heads ever, they never slip either. Why don't you like them? Are you using them properly? I know it seems like a stupid question but 2 guitars I've bought second hand had then strung up similar to regular tuners, they weren't pushed into the holes at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brainfur
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1873
Location: United States

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boooooo the split post rules....
_________________
George wrote:
in the future there must be only guitars or only computers

theshadowofseattle wrote:
TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Supersonicman
.
.


Joined: 27 Nov 2010
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
These are the easiest to use machine heads ever, they never slip either. Why don't you like them? Are you using them properly? I know it seems like a stupid question but 2 guitars I've bought second hand had then strung up similar to regular tuners, they weren't pushed into the holes at all.

They're a lot of trouble for me, especially since I use lighter gauge strings, and the High-e won't have enough tension with a load of wraps, and take too long for me to restring them. I probably am not stringing them just right, but it'd save me the headache from them. I have ordered these (https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Strat-Vitage-Machine-Head-6-inline-Chrome-NEW_p_349.html) and hopefully they work, everything looks fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9094

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^you clip off the string ends before you put them in the holes. About two tuner's worth of distance is enough to give it proper slack (so you clip the G where it reaches the high E tuner while anchored at the bridge).

Funnily enough, you can get what you want from the real Kluson company (Fender use Gotoh on AVRI and Ping on imports/Squier CVs, as Kluson originally went out of business in the '70s).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kluson-6-In-Line-Vintage-Tuning-Machines-102304565-i1472368.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=COX9wvbHob0CFUJrfgod9koA1Q&kwid=productads-plaid


_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brainfur
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1873
Location: United States

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
^you clip off the string ends before you put them in the holes. About two tuner's worth of distance is enough.

Funnily enough, you can get what you want from the real Kluson company (Fender use Gotoh on AVRI and Ping on imports/Squier CVs, as Kluson originally went out of business in the '70s).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kluson-6-In-Line-Vintage-Tuning-Machines-102304565-i1472368.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=COX9wvbHob0CFUJrfgod9koA1Q&kwid=productads-plaid



even with modern tuner posts u should be cutting the string to size first-- basically impossible to keep anything in tune with a big wad of shit flopping around on the peg
_________________
George wrote:
in the future there must be only guitars or only computers

theshadowofseattle wrote:
TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9094

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut strings on modern pegs after I've fitted it and wound it up to reasonable tension, otherwise I'd have to hold it juuust inside the peg while winding and then probably cut it again?
I know how much slack to give it for 3-4 winds so trimming it beforehand wouldn't really make a difference/might fudge it.
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brainfur
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1873
Location: United States

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
I cut strings on modern pegs after I've fitted it and wound it up to reasonable tension, otherwise I'd have to hold it juuust inside the peg while winding and then probably cut it again?


NOooooooo theres like a hundred youtubes on how to do this properly i'm looking for a good one right now
_________________
George wrote:
in the future there must be only guitars or only computers

theshadowofseattle wrote:
TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brainfur
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1873
Location: United States

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
I cut strings on modern pegs after I've fitted it and wound it up to reasonable tension, otherwise I'd have to hold it juuust inside the peg while winding and then probably cut it again?
I know how much slack to give it for 3-4 winds so trimming it beforehand wouldn't really make a difference/might fudge it.


ok skip the part where he is wiping everythign down with oil and start at 3:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqYrXh4D6wI
_________________
George wrote:
in the future there must be only guitars or only computers

theshadowofseattle wrote:
TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9094

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I string vintage/reissue pegs exactly like that, I meant non-slotted ones by "modern", like the [now that I think about it] equal-vintage Kluson styled pegs on my Gibson-types for example.
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brainfur
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1873
Location: United States

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
Oh I string vintage/reissue pegs exactly like that, I meant non-slotted ones by "modern", like the [now that I think about it] equal-vintage Kluson styled pegs on my Gibson-types for example.


oh yeah-- i use the 2 post rule for modern strings too b/c its just faster and i hate getting 2 many winds
_________________
George wrote:
in the future there must be only guitars or only computers

theshadowofseattle wrote:
TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickD
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 3711
Location: Sheffield, Innit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brainfur wrote:
paul_ wrote:
Oh I string vintage/reissue pegs exactly like that, I meant non-slotted ones by "modern", like the [now that I think about it] equal-vintage Kluson styled pegs on my Gibson-types for example.


oh yeah-- i use the 2 post rule for modern strings too b/c its just faster and i hate getting 2 many winds


I use the two post rule as well
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JordanD
Osama


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 891
Location: Manchester, UK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickD wrote:
brainfur wrote:
paul_ wrote:
Oh I string vintage/reissue pegs exactly like that, I meant non-slotted ones by "modern", like the [now that I think about it] equal-vintage Kluson styled pegs on my Gibson-types for example.


oh yeah-- i use the 2 post rule for modern strings too b/c its just faster and i hate getting 2 many winds


I use the two post rule as well


Another one here too! I much prefer kluson style over new style tuners also.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WayToHip
.
.


Joined: 20 Feb 2014
Posts: 199
Location: Alberta, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly play bass but anyway, I use the "3 fingers" rule, which is 3 fingers beyond the tuning peg is where I cut my strings. i have never owned a guitar or bass that didnt have the split tuning peg design. its a hella easy concept to figure out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meltedbuzzbox
.
.


Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Posts: 330
Location: Northamptonshire, England

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split posts are king!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
honeyiscool
.
.


Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 2072
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: I need cheap vintage style klusons without the split pos Reply with quote

Supersonicman wrote:
I just can't get along with that Safe-T post design on my Jag-Stang. I need a somewhat cheap alternative that will drop right in with posts similar to (http://www.puresalemguitars.com/models/reverberation/). Any one know of any machines without that design? It'll make life much easier for me and my Jag-stang and Tele
While I agree that yes, learn to use them properly, Wilkinson makes their EZ Lock tuners for Klusons, and they're relatively cheap and of very good quality. However, it seems like they're impossible to find right now.
_________________
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
As Can Be
.
.


Joined: 26 Jul 2018
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[youtube]https://youtu.be/aud9atBS8j8[/youtube]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
As Can Be
.
.


Joined: 26 Jul 2018
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/aud9atBS8j8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daftsupernova
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 2473
Location: bottom of in a hell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a robroe
_________________
Doog wrote:
Tone is stored in the balls

theshadowofseattle wrote:
That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 623062 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!