ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

I need cheap vintage style klusons without the split post!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supersonicman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: I need cheap vintage style klusons without the split post! Reply with quote

I just can't get along with that Safe-T post design on my Jag-Stang. I need a somewhat cheap alternative that will drop right in with posts similar to (http://www.puresalemguitars.com/models/reverberation/). Any one know of any machines without that design? It'll make life much easier for me and my Jag-stang and Tele
Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the easiest to use machine heads ever, they never slip either. Why don't you like them? Are you using them properly? I know it seems like a stupid question but 2 guitars I've bought second hand had then strung up similar to regular tuners, they weren't pushed into the holes at all.
brainfur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boooooo the split post rules....

theshadowofseattle wrote:
TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Supersonicman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
These are the easiest to use machine heads ever, they never slip either. Why don't you like them? Are you using them properly? I know it seems like a stupid question but 2 guitars I've bought second hand had then strung up similar to regular tuners, they weren't pushed into the holes at all.

They're a lot of trouble for me, especially since I use lighter gauge strings, and the High-e won't have enough tension with a load of wraps, and take too long for me to restring them. I probably am not stringing them just right, but it'd save me the headache from them. I have ordered these (https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Strat-Vitage-Machine-Head-6-inline-Chrome-NEW_p_349.html) and hopefully they work, everything looks fine.
paul_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^you clip off the string ends before you put them in the holes. About two tuner's worth of distance is enough to give it proper slack (so you clip the G where it reaches the high E tuner while anchored at the bridge).

Funnily enough, you can get what you want from the real Kluson company (Fender use Gotoh on AVRI and Ping on imports/Squier CVs, as Kluson originally went out of business in the '70s).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kluson-6-In-Line-Vintage-Tuning-Machines-102304565-i1472368.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=COX9wvbHob0CFUJrfgod9koA1Q&kwid=productads-plaid

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
brainfur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
^you clip off the string ends before you put them in the holes. About two tuner's worth of distance is enough.

Funnily enough, you can get what you want from the real Kluson company (Fender use Gotoh on AVRI and Ping on imports/Squier CVs, as Kluson originally went out of business in the '70s).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kluson-6-In-Line-Vintage-Tuning-Machines-102304565-i1472368.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=COX9wvbHob0CFUJrfgod9koA1Q&kwid=productads-plaid

even with modern tuner posts u should be cutting the string to size first-- basically impossible to keep anything in tune with a big wad of shit flopping around on the peg

paul_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut strings on modern pegs after I've fitted it and wound it up to reasonable tension, otherwise I'd have to hold it juuust inside the peg while winding and then probably cut it again?
I know how much slack to give it for 3-4 winds so trimming it beforehand wouldn't really make a difference/might fudge it.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
brainfur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
I cut strings on modern pegs after I've fitted it and wound it up to reasonable tension, otherwise I'd have to hold it juuust inside the peg while winding and then probably cut it again?

NOooooooo theres like a hundred youtubes on how to do this properly i'm looking for a good one right now

brainfur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
I know how much slack to give it for 3-4 winds so trimming it beforehand wouldn't really make a difference/might fudge it.

ok skip the part where he is wiping everythign down with oil and start at 3:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqYrXh4D6wI

paul_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I string vintage/reissue pegs exactly like that, I meant non-slotted ones by "modern", like the [now that I think about it] equal-vintage Kluson styled pegs on my Gibson-types for example.

robertOG wrote:
brainfur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
Oh I string vintage/reissue pegs exactly like that, I meant non-slotted ones by "modern", like the [now that I think about it] equal-vintage Kluson styled pegs on my Gibson-types for example.

oh yeah-- i use the 2 post rule for modern strings too b/c its just faster and i hate getting 2 many winds

NickD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brainfur wrote:
paul_ wrote:

oh yeah-- i use the 2 post rule for modern strings too b/c its just faster and i hate getting 2 many winds

I use the two post rule as well
JordanD
Osama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickD wrote:
brainfur wrote:
paul_ wrote:

I use the two post rule as well

Another one here too! I much prefer kluson style over new style tuners also.
WayToHip

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly play bass but anyway, I use the "3 fingers" rule, which is 3 fingers beyond the tuning peg is where I cut my strings. i have never owned a guitar or bass that didnt have the split tuning peg design. its a hella easy concept to figure out.
meltedbuzzbox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split posts are king!
honeyiscool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: I need cheap vintage style klusons without the split pos Reply with quote

Supersonicman wrote:
I just can't get along with that Safe-T post design on my Jag-Stang. I need a somewhat cheap alternative that will drop right in with posts similar to (http://www.puresalemguitars.com/models/reverberation/). Any one know of any machines without that design? It'll make life much easier for me and my Jag-stang and Tele
While I agree that yes, learn to use them properly, Wilkinson makes their EZ Lock tuners for Klusons, and they're relatively cheap and of very good quality. However, it seems like they're impossible to find right now.
As Can Be

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[youtube]https://youtu.be/aud9atBS8j8[/youtube]
As Can Be

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/aud9atBS8j8
daftsupernova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a robroe

That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: