ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Modding Duo-Sonic to hell and back. What is doable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeSe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Modding Duo-Sonic to hell and back. What is doable? Reply with quote

GAS is strong and there's a chance I won't find the guitar I'm looking for (certain CIJ mustang or light! Jagstang). So I keep on looking at 90s Duo-sonics. I'm looking for a light, small offset that also sounds different to the American Vintage TeleSingle-Coil Pickups in my Tele. Love the in and out of phase settings on Mustangs, and want a trem bar. Sound-wise I can't quite yet decide between nice surf-cleans and much more dirty, grungy sounds.

So the question is how much can one do with a duo-sonic and at least the confidence to start a first ever, more complex building project (I'm a techie but never done a guitar)? I guess a Mustang-style bridge won't fit, but I've seen a few photos of Duo-Sonics with Bigsbys (I really dig this look!). More complex wiring for out of phase pickups? The whole switch system and pickguard would need to be changed I guess...

So please talk me out of it. Or tell me it's very much doable Laughing
daftsupernova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just keep the three way toggle switch and wire in a two-way switch for in/out of phase, and after some work to fit it, slap on a Bigsby and you should be set, really.

theshadowofseattle wrote:
That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
GeSe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daftsupernova wrote:
You can just keep the three way toggle switch and wire in a two-way switch for in/out of phase, and after some work to fit it, slap on a Bigsby and you should be set, really.

Actually, that does sound simple, apart from adjusting the pickguard, and possible the body to allow for the other switch I guess. Ugh, so many ideas, so many guitars I'd love to have and so little space at home. Rolling Eyes
GeSe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh! Someone just offered me a 90s Duo Sonic in black with black pickups and switches for 200 Euro in my neighbourhood! It's probably a lot more than US pawnshop prices, but considering pawnshops are not really a thing here and every purchase from abroad would be more like nearly twice this I'm super excited. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see if it works perfectly, and maybe I'll figure out what's been done to the pickups and switches as I can't find anything about black pickup D-S. And if I like it and it looks decent then tomorrow might be NGD
NickS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeSe wrote:
Oh gosh! Someone just offered me a 90s Duo Sonic in black with black pickups and switches for 200 Euro in my neighbourhood! It's probably a lot more than US pawnshop prices, but considering pawnshops are not really a thing here and every purchase from abroad would be more like nearly twice this I'm super excited. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see if it works perfectly, and maybe I'll figure out what's been done to the pickups and switches as I can't find anything about black pickup D-S. And if I like it and it looks decent then tomorrow might be NGD
bravo
GeSe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it, I got it, I got it! *does happy dance*

Negotiated the owner down a bit. It's close to mint: one tiny ding but no obvious scratches, no fret wear and straight neck. Just lots of dust (outside, inside is fine), and it desperately needs new strings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: