ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

fender prosonic 2x10 combo (bro deal content)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dots
BADmin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: fender prosonic 2x10 combo (bro deal content) Reply with quote

so mickie recently scored a sick deal on a fender prosonic combo (QA sticker dates it to november of 99), and he sold it to me for anywhere between 20 - 40% below market yesterday. i had a chance to put it through the paces briefly yesterday, so i'll post photos in the next couple of days. i can say this to start off, tho, that if i didn't already have the vox, i'd just rock this instead. it is a full class A amp (and AB, and SS) and can be just as chimey, crisp, and warm as my ac30. being the gear snob/hoarder i am, tho, i'll prolly hang onto both. the vox has the built-in trem, tho, and the built-in reverb on the prosonic is prolly something i won't use very often (not a verb live guy).

tl;dr version: got a bro deal amp from mickie, pics to come!
SAVEStheDAY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That amp is a true sleeper. It can do almost everything, and it's a shame most people don't know about it. I guess the traditionalists probably didn't like it because it was new, and the high gain players probably didn't know it could hang because it looked like a normal Fender amp.
dots
BADmin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^absolutely true! I don't think these things ever got the recognition for all the features that the over-engineering by Zinky really produced. Like, you can blow a tube and still function with livable tone loss in solid state mode. That's insane!

Anyway, here are the photos. The amp is super clean, so I imagine whoever has owned it over the last 20 years didn't gig with it consistently.

Hidden: 

SAVEStheDAY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's in great shape, and look at all the tube goodness.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome. Let me know when you melt the connection that switches channels, and it starts popping like crazy like my old cougar 1000 did.
dots
BADmin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was the cougar a fender rock pro? my brother and i were talking about that amp yesterday, and it was a great deal for everything you got with it... his was the head and 4x12, but i think yours was a combo, no? i always loved the tone on that amp (tube pre actually helped it a lot), and the prosonic was like the full monty of that sonic space, imho.
mickie08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE. Glad it worked out.
Backstory is I have a guitar deal with Eastman guitars so I get their guitars pretty cheap. Guy hit me up offering to trade his prosonic for one of my lesser expensive (but still great) eastmans. I took him up on it because I knew how great tha amps were BUT I pretty much never use an amp anymore and I have a blackstar tube 5 watt and 1x12 cab (or DI) at home if I need to do some recording. So after using it on 1 gig and messing around with it I knew I was gonna sell it so I though of DOTS and him having one and having to sell it years ago. We both became aware of these amps from a mutual friend we both recorded with.

So, I took his money. Less than I would have taken form someone else by far, but I still did ok with it and got to help out a friend. Always a worthwhile trade off. and we got to meet up, grab a burger and beer, and chat for a bit for the first time in awhile.

Win/Win.
dots
BADmin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, super fun times had by all, and this amp may become part of my gigging rig at some point. thanks, mickie!
mickie08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dots wrote:
was the cougar a fender rock pro? my brother and i were talking about that amp yesterday, and it was a great deal for everything you got with it... his was the head and 4x12, but i think yours was a combo, no? i always loved the tone on that amp (tube pre actually helped it a lot), and the prosonic was like the full monty of that sonic space, imho.

Fender Performer 1000 combo with an extra 12 cab under it

I think the rock pro has the same guts but had an updated faceplate that had a more industrial look. Mine was a traditional looking blackface amp. You should be able to dial in that sound with your new amp. But it will start popping like jiffy pop after a while
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1