ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

M A R A U D E R S
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 49146

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
Jim Hates Skiing


Hot Snake Johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister


Joined: 26 Apr 2006
Posts: 16630
Location: Minneapolis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1970s JHS copy of a Gibson Marauder

"there were a lot of Gibson Marauder copies being sold under different brand names such as Avon, Cimar, ESP, Maya, Rose Morris, CSL and finally JHS (now known as Vintage & Encore)"

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 49146

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robroe wrote:
Doog wrote:
Jim Hates Skiing


Hot Snake Johnson


JAPES HUNG SALAMI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9789

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Doog"][quote="paul_"]
Doog wrote:

Ahhh, so sick, I really liked that blue one, good to hear it sounds good plugged in too. If it had 2 pickups, I probably woulda taken it; I think the body was pretty much the same thickness as the neck


The Polaris II (bridge pickup) and III (a II with a trem, I think) both had 2 pickups.

The neck is probably thicker than the body, to be honest. The strings are way high over the pickguard and the neck pocket on the body is the thinnest bit of wood on the whole thing (thinner than the headstock).
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plopswagon
.
.


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 13223
Location: Behind you. Don't turn around

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westtexasred wrote:
1970s JHS copy of a Gibson Marauder

"there were a lot of Gibson Marauder copies being sold under different brand names such as Avon, Cimar, ESP, Maya, Rose Morris, CSL and finally JHS (now known as Vintage & Encore)"



Why are the two on the right so much smaller than the one on the left?
_________________
theshadowofseattle wrote:
Happy birthday dot


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 5017
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the universe's unanswerable questions
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
mid-century modem


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 21311
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
_________________
andrew floss musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
mid-century modem


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 21311
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking out loud, on (free alternative to) Photoshop:




I might have to track me down another matching pickup as that looks SICK and is likely more up my alley than the huge woolly stock neckbucker...

I love how the first one with the dual angled pickups has a 'Les Paul Recording Model' vibe to it:


_________________
andrew floss musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fakir Mustache
.
.


Joined: 25 Sep 2013
Posts: 4123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
Thinking out loud, on (free alternative to) Photoshop:




I might have to track me down another matching pickup as that looks SICK and is likely more up my alley than the huge woolly stock neckbucker...

It might not fit sideways (or straight) with the actual rout. Don't really know.

But a much more useful mod would be the blend control some late Marauders had.
_________________
plopswagon wrote:
Everyone knows there’s more mojo in accordions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
mid-century modem


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 21311
Location: London

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakir Mustache wrote:
It might not fit sideways (or straight) with the actual rout. Don't really know.

Possibly, although that Avon/Rose Morris I had years ago had a swimming pool route, and the stock neck humbucker is already way bigger than the proposed mod so it miiiiiiiight be ok?

Gonna have to play the long game on this anyways, said pickups don't pop-up often. Although, I've now got it in my head to find another Marauder, and swap pickups, so I've got a SS and a HH Marauder. BEASTLY.


(using photos of a Photoshop definitely helps helps on the uncanny valley shit a bit lol)

Would just need to get the (obviously custom) pickguard extended out a bit to cover the gooch gap by the bridge. However, that might actually be a problem with the stock route, might need to open up the pit a little.


Fakir Mustache wrote:
But a much more useful mod would be the blend control some late Marauders had.

Ehhh, my Silvertone Jupiter had a stock blend pot (since unwired), and I'd leave it on one setting and never touch it again. Easier to just do that with the pickup heights and still have control over the switching.
_________________
andrew floss musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister


Joined: 26 Apr 2006
Posts: 16630
Location: Minneapolis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


Link
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fakir Mustache
.
.


Joined: 25 Sep 2013
Posts: 4123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
Ehhh, my Silvertone Jupiter had a stock blend pot (since unwired), and I'd leave it on one setting and never touch it again. Easier to just do that with the pickup heights and still have control over the switching.

I find that it only works if the bridge pickup is already louder than the neck.

If they both put out around the same output, you can lower the neck pickup flat and the bridge pickup almost touching the strings and the middle position will still sound like only neck alone.
_________________
plopswagon wrote:
Everyone knows there’s more mojo in accordions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
mid-century modem


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 21311
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakir Mustache wrote:
I find that it only works if the bridge pickup is already louder than the neck.

If they both put out around the same output, you can lower the neck pickup flat and the bridge pickup almost touching the strings and the middle position will still sound like only neck alone.


Ehhhh well that depends how much available space you have, doesn't it?

The humbucker is twice as loud as the singlecoil in this Marauder, but the position and angle of guitar's neck allows for the bridge itself to sit quite high, giving lots of space between the strings and the pickguard, so a large range of pickup height adjustment possibilities.

westtexasred wrote:

Link

siiiiiick



c h o n k y b o i
_________________
andrew floss musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fakir Mustache
.
.


Joined: 25 Sep 2013
Posts: 4123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote:
I find that it only works if the bridge pickup is already louder than the neck.

If they both put out around the same output, you can lower the neck pickup flat and the bridge pickup almost touching the strings and the middle position will still sound like only neck alone.


Ehhhh well that depends how much available space you have, doesn't it?

The humbucker is twice as loud as the singlecoil in this Marauder, but the position and angle of guitar's neck allows for the bridge itself to sit quite high, giving lots of space between the strings and the pickguard, so a large range of pickup height adjustment possibilities.

I doubt the humbucker is twice as loud as the single coil on the Marauder. Have you measured the resistances?

On my Vintage Modified Mustang the bridge pickup has more resistance than the neck, and I have it as high as possible, a couple of mm below the strings, the neck pickup flat with the scratchplate and the neck pickup still sounds too loud.

But I don't doubt that the Marauder bridge sits higher with normal action.

The problem is that in the neck position the strings vibrate more.
_________________
plopswagon wrote:
Everyone knows there’s more mojo in accordions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
mid-century modem


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 21311
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakir Mustache wrote:

I doubt the humbucker is twice as loud as the single coil on the Marauder. Have you measured the resistances?


I have not; it's just louder, okay? Yeesh.
_________________
andrew floss musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fakir Mustache
.
.


Joined: 25 Sep 2013
Posts: 4123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote:

I doubt the humbucker is twice as loud as the single coil on the Marauder. Have you measured the resistances?


I have not; it's just louder, okay? Yeesh.

Actually you're right,

I found some info online, humbucker measures about 6K ohms,, bridge about 2.25K. Although that's not a 100% indication of output because it may vary with pickup construction.
_________________
plopswagon wrote:
Everyone knows there’s more mojo in accordions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 5017
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
Thinking out loud, on (free alternative to) Photoshop:



Double angled looks the best to me
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
mid-century modem


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 21311
Location: London

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah same, looks mad futuristic
_________________
andrew floss musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3323
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit Doog, I had one of those pickups in my parts box for years and just got rid of it last month. Bugger!

Congrats on the new guitar, it looks great! I just picked up an Epi neck for my spare Sonex body but I'm keeping it for a little quarantine project should that happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
mid-century modem


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 21311
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
Shit Doog, I had one of those pickups in my parts box for years and just got rid of it last month. Bugger!


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
_________________
andrew floss musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 726725 / 0