ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

I am a weak, weak man (Epiphone Les Paul SL content)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: I am a weak, weak man (Epiphone Les Paul SL content) Reply with quote

Having only owned 2 guitars since the start of this year (de-cluttering is good, I love it!), I've found myself in a very stupid position where I'm supposed to be writing for 3 different projects which all use completely different guitar tunings. So if I want to have everything set up real nice (hint: I do want to have everything set up real nice), I probably need 3 guitars.

I've been lusting after a yellow Les Paul SL since they first got announced like 2 years ago, so this is my excuse...

It's due to be delivered tomorrow, so I will report back with first impressions!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, can’t really go wrong at that price, I’m also a fan of the yellow.
Thom
lamp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your logic is sound. Congrats!
gusman2x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 is not ostentatious. Have you seen the size of Karl Marx’s head in Highgate cemetery?

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
NickS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest, flippantly, a second-hand MinETune based guitar for different tunings, but all the ones I can find on eBay are like £600+ from Japan.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickS wrote:
I was going to suggest, flippantly, a second-hand MinETune based guitar for different tunings, but all the ones I can find on eBay are like £600+ from Japan.

Don't ruin this for me, Nick! Laughing

I've been hunting for an excuse to buy one of these Epiphones since I sold my Yamaha SG and Squier Strat at the start of the year.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, buy a variax.
The Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks pretty sick. kinda dig that.

sound logic there though, just pick a guitar up for what you need and go. smart.
NickS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the rock covers band I used to take a Strat for single coil sounds and the Flying V for humbucker. The only thing I had a conflict with was a Chris Rea song (!) that required an open tuning for slide so although he uses a Strat I used the V because I could tune it rapidly.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have chance to post about this yesterday. But here it is, I've fulfilled my lifelong ambition to post a WTR-style couch photo:

First impressions... erm, well, it's great!

It's sooo light. I don't dig the neck as much as my Squier Tele, but I think I might like it better than my Fender Tele (which kind of leans into my suspicion that maybe I actually just prefer cheap guitars). We shall see whether I feel the same after the honeymoon period.

It doesn't actually feel all that cheap, and the body resonates pretty nicely when unplugged. Holds tune pretty well, too.

The bridge pickup sounds great, although I haven't managed to crank it yet (hopefully sometime next week). The neck pickup is so-so, but I rarely use the neck pickup on any guitar anyway.

One thing I'm surprised about is that I actually dig the strings it came with. I'm not sure what gauge they are, but I'm guessing 9s or 10s. My Fender Tele is currently set up for standard tuning with 11s, and I've been seriously considering switching to 12s because it still feels kind of loose/sloppy to me. I've got the Les Paul tuned to D standard (i.e. DGCFAD), so I was expecting it to be a bit of a nightmare with the factory strings, especially considering the neck is 3/4 of an inch shorter, but... it feels great? Go figure, I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1