ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

My new pedal set up ... advice? Options?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 48903

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there zztop that doesn't sound like 1980s garbage?

Maybe it's the fake fucking drums I can't get past on these records. My ear hears that and like like WARNING WARNING TURN THIS FUCKIN SHIT OFF IT SUCKS

and then like I don't even listen to the guitars because the rhythm section sounds like something off girls just wanna have fun.



*Edit. I searched "zztop real drums" on YouTube and this was 2nd on the list
https://youtu.be/6DVbt5W-DNc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 22130
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robroe wrote:
Is there zztop that doesn't sound like 1980s garbage?

Maybe it's the fake fucking drums I can't get past on these records. My ear hears that and like like WARNING WARNING TURN THIS FUCKIN SHIT OFF IT SUCKS

and then like I don't even listen to the guitars because the rhythm section sounds like something off girls just wanna have fun.



*Edit. I searched "zztop real drums" on YouTube and this was 2nd on the list
https://youtu.be/6DVbt5W-DNc

Try Tres Hombres, Rob. Released in 1973 so if that reminds you of 1980’s garbage maybe it’s your ears that are the problem? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
mid-century modem


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 21198
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gusman2x wrote:
Doog wrote:
And don't underestimate your guitar's tone knob for this kinda stuff


/witchcraft


Hi it's me your old pal Cordelia from Witchcraft Devices
_________________
andrew floss musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 48903

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
robroe wrote:
Is there zztop that doesn't sound like 1980s garbage?

Maybe it's the fake fucking drums I can't get past on these records. My ear hears that and like like WARNING WARNING TURN THIS FUCKIN SHIT OFF IT SUCKS

and then like I don't even listen to the guitars because the rhythm section sounds like something off girls just wanna have fun.



*Edit. I searched "zztop real drums" on YouTube and this was 2nd on the list
https://youtu.be/6DVbt5W-DNc

Try Tres Hombres, Rob. Released in 1973 so if that reminds you of 1980’s garbage maybe it’s your ears that are the problem? Laughing


ok ill go listen to that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plopswagon
.
.


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 13032
Location: Behind you. Don't turn around

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you which version you listen to.

Quote:
At the height of ZZ Top's success in the mid-1980s a digitally remixed version of the recording was released on CD and the original 1973 mix was no longer issued. The remix version created controversy among fans because it significantly changed the sound of the instruments, especially drums. The remix version was used on all early CD copies and was the only version available for over 20 years. A remastered and expanded edition of the album was released on February 28, 2006, which contains three bonus live tracks. The 2006 edition is the first CD version to use Manning's original 1973 mix. Subsequent releases on digital platforms such as iTunes have used the original mix as well.

_________________
theshadowofseattle wrote:
Happy birthday dot


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
benecol
Best Poster 2010


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 7541
Location: Westcountry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
Try Tres Hombres, Rob. Released in 1973 so if that reminds you of 1980’s garbage maybe it’s your ears that are the problem? Laughing


Came in here to post this, although I'm happy to pilot the time machine further back. Are you even in the art school technicians if you haven't been forced by me to dance to this in the office on the 28th of each month?




Link


Sticking this in as well, it's on Fran's rec, but deserves its own props:


Link
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 48903

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plopswagon wrote:
Mind you which version you listen to.

Quote:
At the height of ZZ Top's success in the mid-1980s a digitally remixed version of the recording was released on CD and the original 1973 mix was no longer issued. The remix version created controversy among fans because it significantly changed the sound of the instruments, especially drums. The remix version was used on all early CD copies and was the only version available for over 20 years. A remastered and expanded edition of the album was released on February 28, 2006, which contains three bonus live tracks. The 2006 edition is the first CD version to use Manning's original 1973 mix. Subsequent releases on digital platforms such as iTunes have used the original mix as well.


Fuck sake they went fucking with thier own shit
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9756

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZZ Top were just a record label ploy to facilitate the success of Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I had the rip of the Tres Hombres vinyl on my last hard drive that died... I kinda liked it, but not really. Any other classic stuff from the early '70s whups it... I think maybe you have to be playing billiards in tight jeans or something.
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"


Last edited by paul_ on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 22130
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
I had the rip of the Tres Hombres vinyl on my last hard drive that died... I kinda liked it, but not really. Any other classic stuff from the early '70s whups it... I think maybe you have to be playing billiards in tight jeans or something.

I really like Billy Gibbons playing and tone, it’s so laid back with a less is more approach.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dub
.
.


Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 1598
Location: WGTN, Aotearoa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That new EHX Eddy looks like a lot of modulation for just 99USD. I've been eyeing up the EQD Depths for a vibrato, but I seriously don't need any more gear to be honest.

A setup that dooms and does extreme metal? I think the suggestion of using your pickup selector is a good one here, set up the neck to doom out then use the bridge for teh nasties. Really depends what kind of stuff you're playing though, something full range that sounds great with sustained chords might be too flabby if you start trying to palm-mute. RATs are a good mix of both (fuzz-distortion) worlds.

Stacking combos I've been enjoying:

Perc (diodes out, minimal gain)>Muff
Perc does a clanging dirty clean tone, or can be used to push the muff for a bit extra, muff does heavier riffs, sustainy bad Gilmour bits.

Similar setup with :
Fuzzface>RAT (set to low gain, very slight volume boost) just cause I generally prefer the full range of the FF as a vintage doomy rhythm tone.

Klon (no gain, volume at unity, treble boosted)>Fuzzface
Klon used to tighten up the low end for chugging, boost the high end for leads and clean bits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
NickD
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 4408
Location: Sheffield, Innit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
paul_ wrote:
I had the rip of the Tres Hombres vinyl on my last hard drive that died... I kinda liked it, but not really. Any other classic stuff from the early '70s whups it... I think maybe you have to be playing billiards in tight jeans or something.

I really like Billy Gibbons playing and tone, it’s so laid back with a less is more approach.


Yup. I’ve got nostalgia for the 80s output, but the early albums are great. He’s such a good player. Maybe a little too fond of a pinch harmonic, but at least you know it’s him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 720239 / 0