ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

Bowie Comp - Does Androgyny Dream of Electric Beats?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 20715
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gusman2x wrote:
Coolio.

So what if everyone interested suggested a theme/task and then we can poll it?

Could be as varied as: reimagine the Top Gun theme, or make a track that conveys the feeling of looking out the window at your jet engine on fire.


I reckon one person suggests a theme/task and we go with it. We can rota who does the suggesting.

Happy to go with Dez's suggestion.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4819
Location: Halifax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold my synths and drum machine this time last year because they weren't getting any use, sod's law I've been stuck in the house since then with all the time in the world to use them.

I'd quite like to get involved in this though - will I be shunned for using all software synths? Laughing
_________________
BEIGE PALACE | THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 20715
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddy V-C wrote:
Sold my synths and drum machine this time last year because they weren't getting any use, sod's law I've been stuck in the house since then with all the time in the world to use them.

I'd quite like to get involved in this though - will I be shunned for using all software synths? Laughing


Just don't tell us!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gusman2x
.
.


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 4144
Location: Manchester U.K.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacchus wrote:
gusman2x wrote:
Coolio.

So what if everyone interested suggested a theme/task and then we can poll it?

Could be as varied as: reimagine the Top Gun theme, or make a track that conveys the feeling of looking out the window at your jet engine on fire.


I reckon one person suggests a theme/task and we go with it. We can rota who does the suggesting.

Happy to go with Dez's suggestion.


Yup, sounds good. Thanks Dez.

Bowie reimagined however you like from Low, Heroes, or Lodger.

Bonus points if you embody the feel of piss stained mattresses and gender bending sexy times.

What sort of timeframe is everyone happy with? 2 or 4 weeks?
_________________
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band


Last edited by gusman2x on Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gusman2x
.
.


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 4144
Location: Manchester U.K.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddy V-C wrote:


I'd quite like to get involved in this though - will I be shunned for using all software synths? Laughing


100% need Freddy input. Gives us all something to strive for!
_________________
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7741
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be using a few soft synthetic Freddy... but don't tell any one else.
_________________
"Stop fucking about and get an SD-1"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
NickD
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 4372
Location: Sheffield, Innit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
I'll be using a few soft synthetic Freddy... but don't tell any one else.
m
Who is soft synthetic Freddy? And what has he done with the real Freddy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7741
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickD wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
I'll be using a few soft synthetic Freddy... but don't tell any one else.
m
Who is soft synthetic Freddy? And what has he done with the real Freddy?


May be my favourite auto correct to date.
_________________
"Stop fucking about and get an SD-1"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gusman2x
.
.


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 4144
Location: Manchester U.K.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these Freddies will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
_________________
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickS
.
.


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 10420
Location: Nr. Basinggrad, UK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gusman2x wrote:
All these Freddies will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Laughing Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
mid-century modem


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 21185
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickD wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
I'll be using a few soft synthetic Freddy... but don't tell any one else.
mmmm
Who is soft synthetic Freddy?
😏

_________________
andrew floss musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 20715
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gusman2x wrote:
Bacchus wrote:
gusman2x wrote:
Coolio.

So what if everyone interested suggested a theme/task and then we can poll it?

Could be as varied as: reimagine the Top Gun theme, or make a track that conveys the feeling of looking out the window at your jet engine on fire.


I reckon one person suggests a theme/task and we go with it. We can rota who does the suggesting.

Happy to go with Dez's suggestion.


Yup, sounds good. Thanks Dez.

Bowie reimagined however you like from Low, Heroes, or Lodger.

Bonus points if you embody the feel of piss stained mattresses and gender bending sexy times.

What sort of timeframe is everyone happy with? 2 or 4 weeks?


4 weeks, folks?

I like the idea of the urgency of 2 weeks, and that it will force us into working in imperfect ways and not keep honing. That sort of pressure and detachment is a great way to learn, you become less precious about getting things perfect. But I'm also not sure 2 weeks is long enough...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7741
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowie recorded the whole album in less than 2 weeks (this is a total fabrication - it took 3 months). I go 2, but Gus is the Gaffer.
_________________
"Stop fucking about and get an SD-1"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gusman2x
.
.


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 4144
Location: Manchester U.K.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks it is!

Do we want a new thread, or just update the first post and title of this one?
_________________
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7741
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gusman2x wrote:
Three weeks it is!

Do we want a new thread, or just update the first post and title of this one?



Just update the first post- always worked for all the old Halloween compilations
_________________
"Stop fucking about and get an SD-1"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lorez
.
.


Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 9250
Location: Hopelessly Wayward

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having trouble deciding which track to do and might just sample one the hits and turn it in to a rave banger like this krautrock staple


Link

_________________
plopswagon wrote:
I like teles and strats because they’re made out of guitar.

robroe wrote:
I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gusman2x
.
.


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 4144
Location: Manchester U.K.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that’s the beauty. You can approach it however you want, cover, inspired by etc.
_________________
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gusman2x
.
.


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 4144
Location: Manchester U.K.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Title and 1st post updated for the deets.
_________________
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 719723 / 0