ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

Nick's perfect Tele?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Nick's perfect Tele? Reply with quote

I'm unlikely to start it that quickly, but I'm after a few ideas for a Tele project.

What I'm after:

Most likely a Thinline. I've hankered after a nice one for years

It needs to sound at least a bit like a Tele, so Tele bridge pickup

I'd like a humbucker at the neck, probably a wide range, but I'd be happy with a PAF style too.

The neck needs to be fairly chunky - my favourite neck is on my 59RI LP and that is approx 0.8 if an inch deep at the nut, and an inch at the 12th.

I'd like it to have something that at least looks like a vintage bridge - I prefer that aesthetic - but it needs to intonate fairly well.

I don't have the skills to build a body (esp Thinline) but I can paint well enough and drill holes etc.

Any ideas on what/where to source the parts? I haven't built a guitar in 7 years or so, so I'm a bit out of the loop.
Thom
lamp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Jazzmaster body from Guitarbuild.co.uk, they have got a thinline Tele body and you can specify what routing you want. My body was really good, nicely finished/sanded and I didn't need to make any adjustments to it prior to painting. It had a couple of splinters on the back where they drilled the neck pocket holes, but they are covered by the neck plate. However, euan got a Tele body from them and he was not pleased - the routes were all wrong. They have a good reputation and aren't the cheapest so you'd hope that was an exception. Not got any experience with their necks.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you want a Squier 51 neck. Nice and clubby. Don't know if you can still get them cheap, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacchus wrote:
Sounds like you want a Squier 51 neck. Nice and clubby. Don't know if you can still get them cheap, though.

Have they got a tele heel?

Just had a look on eBay, they don't look all that available, but I'll keep an eye out
plopswagon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a cheap strat neck and fatten it up by feeding it chili cheese fries.

paulnb57

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitarbuild for the body, Allaprts for a chunky profile neck, hardware of choice...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1