ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Show me to some drums, part 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
filtercap

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Show me to some drums, part 2 Reply with quote

I finally got the Drums Issue settled. After looking (electronically) at loads of new, used, and vintage kits, the winner was...

Ludwig Classic Birch (2004 or thereabouts) -- 10", 12", 14" floor, 20" kick, 14x5 snare.

The red came out brighter in these pix than in real life. Photographs do not convey how Deeply And Importantly Sparkly these are. Recordings do convey how much I suck at playing them, but this does not matter, because from an artistic standpoint I have sparkly red drums now.

They sound great. Most of the stands and a few cymbals were included, which made the drums themselves an even better deal. The heads were nearly new when they arrived, and the snare head was brand new. You can tell from the foto how much I've been playing it. I'd like to change a couple of the cymbals eventually, maybe add a crash-ride (the K's "crashable" depending on how you do it, but it's more suited to ride).
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, looks great dude.

I miss my drums Crying or Very sad
Griffen

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice set, man.
how much was it?
Chico Malo
Sushi Monster

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz! Very nice looking kit. It's nice having something you can beat the crap out of.
More Cowbell

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Cool
kim
[=''=]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one !

i like that setup too, what kind of hi-hat and ride/crash are those ? (the sabians on the right)

the color is very nice, esp with the hints of black and white on the bassdrum, it's the bauhaus drumkit ! Wink

www.myspace.com/heavium
i dunketh MC's like a crumpet in my tea
filtercap

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride = 20" Zildjian K Ride -- I bought this separately off bleeBlay. Not the ultimate, but a good starting point. I'm kind of a ride cymbal freak. A
Zildjian like the K Custom Dark or the delightfully named A Sweet Ride would be cool. Or both. A small kit with a whole mushroom forest of ride cymbals off to one side. Yes.

Crash = 16 " Sabian AA Extra Thin -- This one's a keeper. Fast and dark, records well.

Hats = 14" Sabian B8Pro -- Loud and a bit thick sounding with a stick, but the pedal "chick" sound is good. They sound surprisingly good recorded though. I'll go looking for a different pair eventually, but these aren't bad.

A Sabian B8Pro crash also came with the kit, but it's tinny sounding with some weird overtones at the end.

Ultimately, I'd like to have hats - crash - crash/ride - ride and leave it at that.

I replaced the original black bass drum head (big 70's Ludwig logo) with the script logo head you see there. The original looked a little too "Heyyyy baby, I'm a Sagittarius and I ROCK! Have some Chablis." Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Mike
I like EL34s

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

filtercap wrote:
"Heyyyy baby, I'm a Sagittarius and I ROCK! Have some Chablis." Not that there's anything wrong with that.

hahahaha
inscho

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just now starting to learn, I picked up this cheap little kit off craigslist, its a sonor force 2000 w/ a gretsch catalina club snare....beat up, but works for me. I have a throne and some hats on the way....but i've ran out of money for a ride and stand. Embarassed

paul_

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted to play drums before guitar but my dad told me they were too big and expensive (yes, the guy who recently helped me build a 100w non-master marshall head).
i want to get a drum kit but the transition between 65% crap (current skillz) and tolerably competent would take too long and be too loud for the people i care about.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
roachello
Cunt Punt

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rents bought me this drumset as a high school graduation present. It cost around $750 with hardware. throne, and factory cymbals. My mom used her "asian discount" talking skills to throw in some sticks too. The Sublimedo got me a Sabian ride cymbal as a Christmas present Smile It's cool being a girl musician because your girlfriends look at you strangely when you tell them your boyfriend gave you a ride for Christmas ;P

inscho

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:

i want to get a drum kit but the transition between 65% crap (current skillz) and tolerably competent would take too long and be too loud for the people i care about.

i've found that a decent solution to being too loud is mesh drum heads....you can still hear the basic sound of the drums but at 1/20th the volume, its a little more springy than a normal head....but not too bad. and they are cheaper than regular heads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Musical Miscellany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: