ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

What's the best practice method?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Musical Miscellany
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 19442
Location: Ball So Hard University

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: What's the best practice method? Reply with quote

I feel like I've hit an impasse in my now 6 month venture into learning guitar, I really haven't made any progress in the last month and a half. my finger work remains sloppy and slow and I've lately been getting so infuriated with the process that I've had to put the guitar down and walk away from it for fear of smashing it.

I assume all guitarists hit such rough patches in the learning process, but I'd like to know what your guys practice routines look like. How much time do you, did you, spend daily. Did you work on songs or just chords and scales, or a combo? How did you divy your practice time up?

Sorry for how noobish this all is, but please remember I am a very much still a guitar noob.
_________________
dots wrote:
society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends

brainfur wrote:
I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stewart
Cunning Linguist


Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 17625
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best practice method? Reply with quote

endsjustifymeans wrote:
How did you divy your practice time up?


3 hours finger tapping, 30 mins pinch harmonics, 1 hour gurning per day.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 19442
Location: Ball So Hard University

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best practice method? Reply with quote

stewart wrote:
endsjustifymeans wrote:
How did you divy your practice time up?


3 hours finger tapping, 30 mins pinch harmonics, 1 hour gurning per day.


how do you find time to practice your rock face with that schedule?

Do you suggest I keep my neon spandex on for the whole practice routine?
_________________
dots wrote:
society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends

brainfur wrote:
I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JamesSmann
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 11579

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my best advice is to just keep going. i'm not a fucking brilliant guitarist at all, but what skill i have develped over the past 15 years or so has come from just playing. a lot. they did some study once that showed that human beings that go on to do GREAT things, whether with a guitar, paint-brush, law degree, medical degree, require something like 10,000 hours of study with their craft...and it's kind of cool how that number really does play in with all the greats of their skill...so yeah, go getcher 10,000 hours...i personally play like i need another 7,000 or so...hah ha ha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stewart
Cunning Linguist


Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 17625
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best practice method? Reply with quote

endsjustifymeans wrote:
stewart wrote:
endsjustifymeans wrote:
How did you divy your practice time up?


3 hours finger tapping, 30 mins pinch harmonics, 1 hour gurning per day.


how do you find time to practice your rock face with that schedule?

Do you suggest I keep my neon spandex on for the whole practice routine?


hmm, that's a toughie. the crotch areas tend to perish, from my experience. you might want to keep your underwear on.

i'm in no position to advise anyone, my playing hit a peak about 2 years ago and has been getting steadily worse ever since.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 19442
Location: Ball So Hard University

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Jimmy wrote:
my best advice is to just keep going. i'm not a fucking brilliant guitarist at all, but what skill i have develped over the past 15 years or so has come from just playing. a lot. they did some study once that showed that human beings that go on to do GREAT things, whether with a guitar, paint-brush, law degree, medical degree, require something like 10,000 hours of study with their craft...and it's kind of cool how that number really does play in with all the greats of their skill...so yeah, go getcher 10,000 hours...i personally play like i need another 7,000 or so...hah ha ha.


I have every intention to keep going, I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong practice wise. It felt like I was going 100 MPH with months 1-4, and then on month 5 I hit a brick wall.
_________________
dots wrote:
society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends

brainfur wrote:
I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JamesSmann
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 11579

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endsjustifymeans wrote:
St. Jimmy wrote:
my best advice is to just keep going. i'm not a fucking brilliant guitarist at all, but what skill i have develped over the past 15 years or so has come from just playing. a lot. they did some study once that showed that human beings that go on to do GREAT things, whether with a guitar, paint-brush, law degree, medical degree, require something like 10,000 hours of study with their craft...and it's kind of cool how that number really does play in with all the greats of their skill...so yeah, go getcher 10,000 hours...i personally play like i need another 7,000 or so...hah ha ha.


I have every intention to keep going, I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong practice wise. It felt like I was going 100 MPH with months 1-4, and then on month 5 I hit a brick wall.


i think that's true of any "skill" we learn in life though...the initial few months or whatever you're going purely on the excitement of learning something new that you're really into all of a sudden. then you get through the first few weeks months and the real "WORK" kicks in...you'll be fine man...you clearly have a passion for it...so you'll keep going with it...just gotta be okay with however long it takes you to get as proficient as you want to be. no one can force you to go faster/slower or be any kind of guitarist you don't want to be...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9128

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play while you're doing other stuff. I pretended to like Futurama for like, 3 years, just to clear everyone out of the living room for half hours at a time.
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
George
.
.


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 20327
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon learn a few cock-rock riffs. It might sound boring and trite but I would say playing classic rock or blues stuff might give you the gratifcation and fresh wind you may need once you're over the honeymoon period.

Also don't overwork it. If you're getting really pissed off and tired with it, go back to it when you're aching to play again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 19442
Location: Ball So Hard University

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeF wrote:
I reckon learn a few cock-rock riffs. It might sound boring and trite but I would say playing classic rock or blues stuff might give you the gratifcation and fresh wind you may need once you're over the honeymoon period.

Also don't overwork it. If you're getting really pissed off and tired with it, go back to it when you're aching to play again.


I've been learning some AC/DC and Black Sabbath riffs lately. I'm piss poor at some of them, but I totally see what you're saying.
_________________
dots wrote:
society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends

brainfur wrote:
I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
George
.
.


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 20327
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there's just something about 60s and 70s rock for me. When I was first starting out I found jamming along to bands like Zeppelin and Cream in particular was great. Their songs cover all skill levels, nice chuggy easy riffs to get started with and when you're ready you can have a dabble at the solos if you're feeling brave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike
I like EL34s


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 38022
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't believe.

How can you ever rock if you don't believe?
_________________
MadeByMike.co.uk - Handmade Pedals and Custom Builds
Facebook - Twitter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 19442
Location: Ball So Hard University

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
You don't believe.

How can you ever rock if you don't believe?


FRACK!

I need my old mike quote about step one to becoming a great guitarist is believing you are a great guitarist...
That's when everything went wrong, when I changed that sig. I've lost me faith. lol
_________________
dots wrote:
society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends

brainfur wrote:
I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike
I like EL34s


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 38022
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my world famous two step plan:

1. Believe you are fucking awesome
2. Actually, like, getting better and that


I'm at stage 1. You can be too for 14.99 a month.
_________________
MadeByMike.co.uk - Handmade Pedals and Custom Builds
Facebook - Twitter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 19442
Location: Ball So Hard University

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pshaw... I'm pirating your plan. I'll just tape this to my amp.

Mike wrote:

1. Believe you are fucking awesome
2. Actually, like, getting better and that

_________________
dots wrote:
society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends

brainfur wrote:
I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
George
.
.


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 20327
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheque's in the post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kim
[=''=]


Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 12084
Location: BE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm... playing guitar/music with other people works best, if there's a drummer, i don't get bored so easily then but also getting an acoustic that is sort of tough to play, it's something you can pick up and play any time of the day, playing guitar by yourself for two hours is so boring i think so it works picking it up, playing, if you're not feeling it and you irritate yourself playing put it down , pick it up again later with new motivation etc.

jam along to songs playing on your stereo, that's fun too, even if it's not exactly how the song is played, if it sounds ok you can come up with new ideas and push yourself a bit more. i'm not a fan of memorizing scales and all stupid crap then playing stuff as fast as you can, it's not really heartfelt, and something that isn't heartfelt but just memorized doesn't last i think. buddy holly was such a shit guitarist technically compared to steve vai, but steve vai songs don't mean shit, buddy wrote some amazing songs. so don't go stress yourself if you can't do teh vaiz or satrianiz, it's not important. if you can play guitar and feel relieved afterwards i think that's most important to playing guitar or any instrument, not showing off.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/lemiacis

www.myspace.com/heavium
i dunketh MC's like a crumpet in my tea
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 19442
Location: Ball So Hard University

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be trying to rush myself.

You see I've got a band ready to go waiting for me to learn guitar well enough to start writing some songs. We're all best friends and all so their in no rush, but I wanna get up to speed asap and it's been frustrating.
_________________
dots wrote:
society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends

brainfur wrote:
I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kim
[=''=]


Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 12084
Location: BE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just play power chords with fuzz and reverb on it, can't fail.

do they tell you you should learn to play better ? if they do just say fuck you, don't be the ego guitarist not knowing when to stop soloing etc
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/lemiacis

www.myspace.com/heavium
i dunketh MC's like a crumpet in my tea
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 19442
Location: Ball So Hard University

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim wrote:
just play power chords with fuzz and reverb on it, can't fail.

do they tell you you should learn to play better ? if they do just say fuck you, don't be the ego guitarist not knowing when to stop soloing etc


lol, no. It's more out of embarrassment of my skills I haven't played with them yet. Once my EC thunder gets here, I may take your advice and just hide lack of skill behind a wall of noise.
_________________
dots wrote:
society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends

brainfur wrote:
I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Musical Miscellany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 627498 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!