ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

XLR to USB mic cable or some Audio Interface?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lorez
.
.


Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 8660
Location: Hopelessly Wayward

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: XLR to USB mic cable or some Audio Interface? Reply with quote

Quick question, would I be better getting an audio interface to record input from microphones on a computer or would an XLR to USB cable suffice? The later is obviously cheaper but are there any issues I should consider?
_________________
benecol wrote:
Ah, the heady days of trying to get beefytoanz out of my Marlin strat by adjusting the pickups right up to the strings.

dots wrote:
This forum's format is my vinyl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
avj
A Select Individual


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 1258
Location: Detroitish.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go for an interface. There are some bargains to be had on M-Audio and Edirol USB gear, and your investment will take you much further.

I'd make a few recommendations, but I'm 'scaling from my phone right now and don't have the resources.
_________________
REMI GREENE | BRIGHT NIGHTS | UNOBSERVABLE UNIVERSE | ROOTS AND RUINS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kim
[=''=]


Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 12084
Location: BE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want it really cheap you could just get a 1/4 jack to mini jack to your computer if you have an xlr-1/4jack cable.

it will not sound very clear though, lovely digital overdrive lol

buying a mic with a usb out is something you could do but maybe then you'd be better off buying a cheap simple interface like this





so you won't be stuck with a mic with usb cable that you can't use for anything else. this interface is cheap and you can plug in everything you can connect with a 1/4 jack cable like guitars, mics, drumcomputers, some synths whatever. use the mics you have, i'm sure you have an xlr to 1/4jack lying around somewhere, done.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/lemiacis

www.myspace.com/heavium
i dunketh MC's like a crumpet in my tea
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lorez
.
.


Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 8660
Location: Hopelessly Wayward

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I was asking is I managed to pic up a SM57 for cheap from the local cash convertors and it doesn't have a lead at present. I just woundered if a lead like this one would suffice - link. Its about 25% the cost of an interface. I was going to use something like Audacity on the PC/Mac to do the recordings. I will take a look in to the costs of the other devices you recommend

Cheers

lorez
_________________
benecol wrote:
Ah, the heady days of trying to get beefytoanz out of my Marlin strat by adjusting the pickups right up to the strings.

dots wrote:
This forum's format is my vinyl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 62458
Location: Skrampa, FL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim wrote:
so you won't be stuck with a mic with usb cable that you can't use for anything else.


bro, you can use the USB mic for playing Rock Band!
_________________
gusman2x wrote:
wizard thickness

George wrote:
Yeah, thickness, nut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kim
[=''=]


Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 12084
Location: BE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't know, too broke for rockband, bro.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/lemiacis

www.myspace.com/heavium
i dunketh MC's like a crumpet in my tea
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 62458
Location: Skrampa, FL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim wrote:
too broke.

_________________
gusman2x wrote:
wizard thickness

George wrote:
Yeah, thickness, nut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
knpknpknp
.
.


Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the interface and mic combo will cost a little more to start, I would say it is well worth it.

Mainly because an interface with a couple of inputs can be found for pretty cheap and at least with this you aren't stuck with one mic type. Not to mention some pretty interesting mics can be found for pretty cheap, and it would be a shame to not be able to utilize them by having all your eggs in one basket.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hypermused
.
.


Joined: 22 Apr 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the USB interface that kim posted too. And you could use it for some other stuff too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dingus
.
.


Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 621
Location: Reston, VA

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorez wrote:
The reason I was asking is I managed to pic up a SM57 for cheap from the local cash convertors and it doesn't have a lead at present. I just woundered if a lead like this one would suffice - link. Its about 25% the cost of an interface. I was going to use something like Audacity on the PC/Mac to do the recordings. I will take a look in to the costs of the other devices you recommend

Cheers

lorez



CASH CONVERTERS! Lorez, where you live?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lorez
.
.


Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 8660
Location: Hopelessly Wayward

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dingus wrote:
lorez wrote:
The reason I was asking is I managed to pic up a SM57 for cheap from the local cash convertors and it doesn't have a lead at present. I just woundered if a lead like this one would suffice - link. Its about 25% the cost of an interface. I was going to use something like Audacity on the PC/Mac to do the recordings. I will take a look in to the costs of the other devices you recommend

Cheers

lorez



CASH CONVERTERS! Lorez, where you live?


Sunny Bristol in the Severn Delta, were the cider flows and and country and western is the right way round
_________________
benecol wrote:
Ah, the heady days of trying to get beefytoanz out of my Marlin strat by adjusting the pickups right up to the strings.

dots wrote:
This forum's format is my vinyl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dingus
.
.


Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 621
Location: Reston, VA

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must be talking about different places then:

http://www.cashconvertersunited.com/index.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reece
.
.


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 10347
Location: Kent, UK

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dingus wrote:
We must be talking about different places then:

http://www.cashconvertersunited.com/index.html

Cash converters is worldwide. We have them in the UK too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
victoria
.
.


Joined: 29 May 2010
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kim,

Yeah..It's really cheap. Your information is good & helpful for me.


Regards
Victoria Heden
Magic Sing along Karaoke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1,2,3, Pull Out!
.
.


Joined: 21 Feb 2010
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What software are you using?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 602290 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!