ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Sonoma FourTrack for iPhone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lorez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Sonoma FourTrack for iPhone Reply with quote

Has anyone used it?

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/iphone/fourtrack/

Just wondered how good it was and worth the time and effort

dots wrote:
This forum's format is my vinyl.
Al_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun novelty and pretty cheap if you've already got an iPhone. Not sure the recording quality would be all that great but possibly good enough. It's a bit limiting in that you can only record single tracks at a time. It would be better if they made a version that allowed stereo recording.
paul_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I use it. It's cool, but it's hardly gonna be pro quality or something you'd use. Fun for practicing vocal harmony or doing a bit of singer/songwriter stuff while traveling. The first thing I did with it was "parp" through my lips to sound like a trumpet, 4 tracks of that doing "The Stripper". I namechecked it as my favorite iPhone app in a previous thread, but now I prefer one that lets you download stuff from your browser into folders like a big boy computer (just to give an idea of how fleeting your interest in it may be... it's an iPhone app, not a software mixer). You can sync the individual tracks of a session to your computer over wi-fi and mix them further, which is kinda cool... the main problem is your source tracks have to be recorded with the headset or handset mics, which are for telephone purposes. So it'll sound like your phoning it in (har har but literally).

Oh and I got it during a sale... I saw this going for like $20? No way is it worth that.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
lorez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
Yes, I use it. It's cool, but it's hardly gonna be pro quality or something you'd use. Fun for practicing vocal harmony or doing a bit of singer/songwriter stuff while traveling. The first thing I did with it was "parp" through my lips to sound like a trumpet, 4 tracks of that doing "The Stripper". I namechecked it as my favorite iPhone app in a previous thread, but now I prefer one that lets you download stuff from your browser into folders like a big boy computer (just to give an idea of how fleeting your interest in it may be... it's an iPhone app, not a software mixer). You can sync the individual tracks of a session to your computer over wi-fi and mix them further, which is kinda cool... the main problem is your source tracks have to be recorded with the headset or handset mics, which are for telephone purposes. So it'll sound like your phoning it in (har har but literally).

Oh and I got it during a sale... I saw this going for like $20? No way is it worth that.

Thanks Paul and Al, I was wondering about using it for just getting ideas down from my head, nothing more. And for 5.99 I thought it might be useful. Paul, you mention another app, what was it called and do you have a link for it?

Cheers

dots wrote:
This forum's format is my vinyl.
aen
Turdscreamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been recording piano and acoustic guitar (ghey, I know) on the voice memo app and importing them into live. There's a whole song on Colossus that had it's source sounds iphon'd.
knpknpknp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it but haven't used it a ton. It is pretty cool if you want to just sketch a couple ideas down, but I doubt recording anything substantial on it would be very intuitive.

I think people have made breakout cables for these, but I can't remember where I saw it. Just with a quarter inch input and output. I'd like to build one of these, so at least you can listen to what you are recording without having the mic by your mouth (as in, recording with the standard ear buds)
knpknpknp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duh, I should have googled beforehand.

http://benttronics.blogspot.com/2009/05/audio-breakout-cable-for-ipodiphone.html
Gap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it for remembering little riff ideas on guitar but for band prac it just doesn't have the range or tolerance to capture enough of everything (unlike my Zoom H2, which does an alright job). It's got lovely features and is easy to import onto the puter and into Logic.

Having said that that there is the Blue Mic Stereo Mikey (now on v.2) that plugs in to the iphone or touch, which looks the bees knees with adjustable gain and USB port to keep the phone charged...

Fool me upgraded to the iPhone 4 which ain't compatible thanks to Apple changing the connector config!!!
jim93

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it to put down simple 4 track ideas but its nowhere near being something you could get something you would keep forever unless your going for a lofi flavor anyhow.
paul_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIVE FROM TOM'S COUCH

Hidden: 

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: