ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

mp3/recorder device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp3k

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: mp3/recorder device Reply with quote

Is there a cheap mp3 player that has a line in so i can connect it to the sound mixer? this way i wouldn't need to take my laptop to the rehearsal room every time i want to record an idea for a song, and i also need a new mp3 player....
paul_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not cheap but an iPod Classic will do that through the headphone jack with the Voice Memo function (intended for use with a headset/computer mic). I run a lot of rough mixes from my portastudio into it, and do DI guitar riff/song idea demos too.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
Well it's not cheap but an iPod Classic will do that through the headphone jack with the Voice Memo function (intended for use with a headset/computer mic). I run a lot of rough mixes from my portastudio into it, and do DI guitar riff/song idea demos too.

Hmm, would this work coming straight out of a mixer as a means of getting a rough recording of live shows?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BacchusPaul wrote:
paul_ wrote:

Hmm, would this work coming straight out of a mixer as a means of getting a rough recording of live shows?

Unfortunately no, it can't handle proper line-in. I use the headphone jacks and a weird cable (inline controls, probably had a mic attachment) to make the voice memo thing actually show up.

I actually probably should take back the recommendation of this method in the thread altogether, I just messed with it and it doesn't work the way he wants it to. Sorry!

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
George

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people round here often tote the ability of the Zoom H2. Maybe not "cheap" but it looks like some kind of goddamn masterpiece of a recorder...

Link

Link
sp3k

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The zoom thing is way to expensive. I just want something that i can plug to mix board, i don't mics. It just needs a line in and to record at a decent quality.
I've used a mini disk player, but it sucks to have to send the recording in real time to the pc....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: