ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

netbooks or old ibook for recording
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lorez
.
.


Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 8590
Location: Hopelessly Wayward

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries simon but its worth considering a lot.
_________________
benecol wrote:
Ah, the heady days of trying to get beefytoanz out of my Marlin strat by adjusting the pickups right up to the strings.

dots wrote:
This forum's format is my vinyl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
George
.
.


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 19991
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt it's just to do with firewire. This sort of thing actually happens frequently with all music software and technology. The OS's change and companies like Mackie and other music-ee companies are too behind on the curve to update and make their products compatible. It's certainly NOT Apple or Microsoft's (or firewire's) fault - I would point the blame at Mackie here. Some companies are still only JUST offering full 64 bit Windows 7 support for their products fgs.

Best thing to do is to check the support page and ask the suppliers if it's compatible. Chances are a large amount of firewire devices will be fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Simon
.
.


Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Posts: 767
Location: Newcastle, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George wrote:
I highly doubt it's just to do with firewire. This sort of thing actually happens frequently with all music software and technology. The OS's change and companies like Mackie and other music-ee companies are too behind on the curve to update and make their products compatible. It's certainly NOT Apple or Microsoft's (or firewire's) fault - I would point the blame at Mackie here. Some companies are still only JUST offering full 64 bit Windows 7 support for their products fgs.

Best thing to do is to check the support page and ask the suppliers if it's compatible. Chances are a large amount of firewire devices will be fine.


Yeah, don't get me wrong, I realise that it's probably Mackie's fault. The interface is now discontinued so that tells you all you need to know really. Just wish I'd been a bit more aware of the craic before spending the money on it.

I'm just a bit bitter really Sad

I was under the impression that Apple were trying to phase Firewire out though. They didn't even include it on the latest Macbooks did they?

They did a Firewire driver rollback which didn't work. This was about 3 years ago now though!

I get on fine with the one half of the interface that actually works and stays connected to my Mac. Works fine for the type of thing I do. Which is mostly bedroom recordings and taking it to our practice room to record new ideas and stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18864
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
I was under the impression that Apple were trying to phase Firewire out though. They didn't even include it on the latest Macbooks did they?


They started phasing it out but brought it back with the current run of MBP's. They're pushing something called Thunderbolt or similar at the minute, which sounds impressive.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
izodiak
.
.


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 1442
Location: Latvia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the latest MBP, and it has Firewire 800 and an Thunderbolt (which is quite awesome.. 10gbit transfer rate or something like that)
I think they wont discontinue the FW because lot of studios and bands have bought huge piles of hardware for that, and video editing etc..
well I think it wont disappear quickly.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/zoom-r8-8-track-multi-track-sd-recorder-sampler-usb-interface
This is what I wanted to show You : ) Seems really great.
_________________
kim wrote:
plankton people will be plankton people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
lorez
.
.


Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 8590
Location: Hopelessly Wayward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just found out I might be able to up the OS to leopard which should make it easier for any software purchases.
_________________
benecol wrote:
Ah, the heady days of trying to get beefytoanz out of my Marlin strat by adjusting the pickups right up to the strings.

dots wrote:
This forum's format is my vinyl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
izodiak
.
.


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 1442
Location: Latvia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example, if You have older OS, then You can use it with older Firewire, as the guy with the Mackie said..the drivers would click.
_________________
kim wrote:
plankton people will be plankton people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
lorez
.
.


Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 8590
Location: Hopelessly Wayward

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to send a thank you for George for the interface that arrived today and I'm now getting to grips with Reaper. I've also been reading Georges recent threads about monitors as well and been taking notes.

Thanks everyone for your help
_________________
benecol wrote:
Ah, the heady days of trying to get beefytoanz out of my Marlin strat by adjusting the pickups right up to the strings.

dots wrote:
This forum's format is my vinyl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broomhandle
.
.


Joined: 27 Dec 2011
Posts: 164

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firewire drivers on the mac are built into the OS. after all firewire is a apple/sony adventure. you might have a OS issue.

are you on mac or PC?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 594753 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!