ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Mixing a Live Recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moogmusic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Mixing a Live Recording Reply with quote

I've been mixing a live recording of our band made in December and the first pass is in: http://soundcloud.com/smnwail4u/alive-in-the-pubic-triangle/s-VThfA

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The recordings were made from the channels on the desk and then I've mixed it using Ardour (http://ardour.org)

Thanks
Sloan
Sexy Predator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that really sticks out for me right now is that is sounds pretty mono. I would try to find a way to make the guitar spread a bit and get out of the way of the critical bass/drum/vox center elements. Maybe spreading the vocal out would help make it feel 'wider' too.
avj
A Select Individual

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got your recording open in a tab ready to have a listen during lunch.

Regarding Ardour, how do you like it? I've used it casually for mixing and post-production stuff for a few years in both OS X and Linux and I've found it to be very capable.
avj
A Select Individual

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bass could come up a bit in the mix. If you're just a three-piece (like it sounds, if I'm hearing correctly), you could also maybe just pan the guitar left a bit and the bass right a bit to separate them and give them a bit of distinct space.

It sounds like there's some decent stereo field stuff going on with the drums already by virtue of how they were mic'd.
duosonic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many tracks did you record to? I would get a little more separation between the guitar and the drums (compression and eq). Panning the guitar off to the side will give you more space for the rest of what's going on. Best tip I've heard is to get the vocal where you want it and then build up the rest around it.
moogmusic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas, I'll post another mix when I've had a fiddle. We are a three-piece and I've got about a ten tracks I think - vox, guitar, bass, individual drums and a couple of room mics. I've panned the drums around but left the guitar dead centre, I'll move it off to one side a bit. I'm not so hot on EQing drums so any suggestions on where to begin would be very helpful.

I find Ardour a great program. I'm just beta-testing version 3 and it seems pretty good - they've multi-threaded it so you can use multiple processors for FX plugins now which is a great improvement. I've been using version 2 for years and it's always been rock solid and it does everything I need from a DAW.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be afraid of the room mics if they sound good. if you can get them wide enough, you can pan your other instruments to fit and it will sound pretty natural.
moogmusic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tweaked the levels and stereo field a little. Next up: EQing which is an area I have no skill in what so ever...

http://soundcloud.com/steven-j-tonge/alive-in-the-pubic-triangle/s-haRSR
markleton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dude that recorded my last band in Glasgow has put up some videos about mixing a live recording, might be some help?

Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: