ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Vox Cambridge repair info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Vox Cambridge repair info Reply with quote

i know a few of us have these in either twin/single 10" format, and experiencing the dreaded "Cambridgitis" in various stages.

i've previously owned/repaired both a single 10" combi, and the louder reverb twin many years ago, but sold/traded those. i only miss the twin, and have always wanted a replacement, but no one ever let's them go for cheap and hangs on like they're some kind of collector's item.

i remember touching briefly with Proggy and Pens about the status of theirs, but i'd like to find a permanent place to document my repairs/modifications to my most recent acquisition ($125 from a lovely mate on the vox forums - thanks again, jerry):

Vox Cambridge 30 Twin Reverb 2x10 (V9320)

pre-repair:

the amp sounds great on both channels when you first turn it on. i really love the cleans (if you can call them that), and the reverb/trem is as helpful and luscious as it is on the pathfinders. it could use a bit more headroom, and haven't tried this particular one with any pedals.

running it for about 30 minutes at normal room volume on channel 1 yields nothing but spanky cleans, although 20 minutes on channel 2 with the mid-boost/overdrive settings enabled, the sound begins to deteriorate, thumping and booming bass when you don't want it. i will be recording a brief video of this issue for my own benefit, but it might help folks in the future for determining if their amp suffers from this awful affliction. Sad

planned repairs/modifications:

- opto-coupler replacement with larger Fender part
- 56w chip for more headroom
- blue l.e.d. (DUH)

my only gripes:

- top mount footswitch input (i'd love to relocate this to the back like on the pathfinders, if possible)
- no room for 12's

Vox Cambridge 15 1x8 (V9169)

Hidden: 

this amp did not have cambridgitis (i'm not convinced it affects the 15, and sounded very nice after upgrading to a sovtek 12ax7.

here she is regrilled, and with a blue l.e.d.:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: