ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Intonation?!!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mark
.
.


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 107
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Intonation?!! Reply with quote

Mad

ive just full cleaned and polished my new firebird but cant get the intonation right!
ive been trying to do it for roughly an hour, adjusting the saddles and checking on the 12th fret.
it ALWAYS comes out as flat notes...
its my first tune o matic and my first attempt to try properly tuning a guitar.

Confused

is it the bow? stop bar height?
i wanna get the action as low as i can without a shitload of buzz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
More Cowbell
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 6206
Location: Jefferson, GA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with firebirds but if the neck is removable you'll prolly have to shim it with some cardboard or summit to lower the string height and eliminate buzzing. Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Aug
Best Poster 2010


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 1335

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you pull the guitar up to full tune, I'm guessing you're fretting the 12th and noticing what the tuner says. Next, you're adjusting the saddle, but are you retuning after each adjustment? If not, there's your problem. Also, don't get impatient...intonating a guitar can't be done in any short period of time. In fact, it usually takes me a full 1/2 hour to intonate a guitar, and I'm really good at it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin J
.
.


Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Posts: 2224
Location: usa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aug wrote:
Once you pull the guitar up to full tune, I'm guessing you're fretting the 12th and noticing what the tuner says. Next, you're adjusting the saddle, but are you retuning after each adjustment? If not, there's your problem. Also, don't get impatient...intonating a guitar can't be done in any short period of time. In fact, it usually takes me a full 1/2 hour to intonate a guitar, and I'm really good at it.


do you know how to intonate a bronco? i don't see how it's possible without taking off the strings each time you wanna adjust the saddles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aug
Best Poster 2010


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 1335

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbles_horwitz wrote:
Aug wrote:
Once you pull the guitar up to full tune, I'm guessing you're fretting the 12th and noticing what the tuner says. Next, you're adjusting the saddle, but are you retuning after each adjustment? If not, there's your problem. Also, don't get impatient...intonating a guitar can't be done in any short period of time. In fact, it usually takes me a full 1/2 hour to intonate a guitar, and I'm really good at it.


do you know how to intonate a bronco? i don't see how it's possible without taking off the strings each time you wanna adjust the saddles.


of course! but, don't remove the strings...loosen the saddle screws just enough to be able to "tap" the saddle in either direction. If you don't get what I'm talking about, feel free to drop by the house, we'll shoot over to the shop and I'll show you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin J
.
.


Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Posts: 2224
Location: usa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aug wrote:
of course! but, don't remove the strings...loosen the saddle screws just enough to be able to "tap" the saddle in either direction. If you don't get what I'm talking about, feel free to drop by the house, we'll shoot over to the shop and I'll show you.


yeah, i think i get what you're saying. i'll try it out this weekend. if i can't get it, i might have to take you up on the offer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
can i get uhhh


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 19298
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Intonation?!! Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

ive been trying to do it for roughly an hour, adjusting the saddles and checking on the 12th fret.
it ALWAYS comes out as flat notes...



So the saddles are all as far forward (towards the neck) as they can go?
_________________
musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark
.
.


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 107
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Intonation?!! Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
Mark wrote:

ive been trying to do it for roughly an hour, adjusting the saddles and checking on the 12th fret.
it ALWAYS comes out as flat notes...



So the saddles are all as far forward (towards the neck) as they can go?


yep. ive tried both as far forward and as far back.
Confused

Aug wrote:
Once you pull the guitar up to full tune, I'm guessing you're fretting the 12th and noticing what the tuner says. Next, you're adjusting the saddle, but are you retuning after each adjustment? If not, there's your problem. Also, don't get impatient...intonating a guitar can't be done in any short period of time. In fact, it usually takes me a full 1/2 hour to intonate a guitar, and I'm really good at it.


Ive been retuning after i adjusted the saddle.


Last edited by Mark on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aug
Best Poster 2010


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 1335

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Intonation?!! Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Doog wrote:
Mark wrote:

ive been trying to do it for roughly an hour, adjusting the saddles and checking on the 12th fret.
it ALWAYS comes out as flat notes...



So the saddles are all as far forward (towards the neck) as they can go?


yep. ive tried both as far forward and as far back.
Confused


You aren't doing it right, then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark
.
.


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 107
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive tried for a solid 2 hours now and i fucking give up.

im just gunna pay the guitar guy to set it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike
I like EL34s


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 38021
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are retuning the string to pitch after adjusting right?

The fact you're throwing that saddle fulling forwards and backwards means you don't know what you're doing. Is the string out because it's sharp at the 12th or flat?
_________________
MadeByMike.co.uk - Handmade Pedals and Custom Builds
Facebook - Twitter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 606816 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!