ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

My Melody Maker (big porno clips)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jcyphe
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 16568

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the stock pickups in these are that great at all, but why buy it if you were just gonna change it.

But in the end it's your guitar, do whatever the fuck you want to it.
_________________
paul_ wrote:
When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
william
.
.


Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 1186

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
timhulio wrote:
Think about it- this guitar has survived for 41 years intact
I agree with this sentiment, seems criminal to screw about with it.


criminal is a bit of an overstatement, no?

the guitar will continue to survive.

this is getting to like a religious level. like the spirit of the former owners will be upset if the guitar isn't the same as when they had it or something. i am at least changing the pickup, guard, and tuners, and trying to get the vibrola to work out. i can either have a pitchy, bright guitar with no vibrola or a sweet sounding, in tune guitar with vibrola and, oh yes, a bit of bad karma voodoo cursage from the guitar gods due to my guitar parts sacrilege.


i really didnt want my first new thread in 5 years to be so confrontational. i think its interesting how passionate everyone is and how many different viewpoints people have.


my own doctrine is: dont rout, dont carve, dont remove wood at all. if modifying hardware, replace vintage hardware and modify the new stuff. never part out a guitar or sell vintage parts as you replace them. keep all parts together and safe. also, enjoy the guitar and if something doesnt suit your needs, change it, so long as your modifications lie within the confines of the doctrine.

so, a bit self referential, but there it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 4614
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
BobArsecake wrote:
Rick went mad, sold his '62 Jag, and built his own house on a rugby field.


This is sadly exactly what happened. He hung up Tarps on the goalposts and chased away teams that were scheduled to play on the pitch with his Broom.


Lol. I used to really enjoy my chats with Rick on MSN.
_________________

The Sailplanes - London band
Fredric Effects - pedals
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
william
.
.


Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 1186

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcyphe wrote:
I don't think the stock pickups in these are that great at all, but why buy it if you were just gonna change it.

But in the end it's your guitar, do whatever the fuck you want to it.


because they are the lightest, comfiest guitars ever, with sweet assed necks and super thin bodies. it is better than my sg special in every way.


i also got a good deal, 700 US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
william
.
.


Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 1186

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so rick's not around anymore? too bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike
I like EL34s


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 38022
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

william wrote:
so rick's not around anymore? too bad.


If you want to see him, you just have to rock up at his field with a Rugby Ball and start pulling at his Tarp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jcyphe
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 16568

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one time Rick threw a hissy fit cause I identified some US made Fender Jaguar made for the Japanese market, and he was like "NO THAT"S A REFIN-------I AM THE JAGUAR EXPERT...SEE MY WEBSITE."

lolz, that guy was way serious about his Jaguars.
_________________
paul_ wrote:
When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike
I like EL34s


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 38022
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was way serious about everything. He told me and Arsecake that buying a house was evil, and that renting a house was stupid, so we should all build our own. On public property.

Man was a complete fruitbat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 21145
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

william wrote:
Fran wrote:
timhulio wrote:
Think about it- this guitar has survived for 41 years intact
I agree with this sentiment, seems criminal to screw about with it.


criminal is a bit of an overstatement, no?

the guitar will continue to survive.

this is getting to like a religious level.
No confrontation dude, its just a touchy subject and would be on any guitar forum. The current market offers shitloads of mod friendly guitars to cover anyones pocket so when someone buys a vintage guitar that has survived 40+ years of musical change, upgrades and careless ownership it seems wrong to put an end to that.

I dunno, maybe this is why the vintage market is so expensive? Imo it should be loved for what it is. Just go and buy an Epiphone or something.
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
Stop fucking about and get an SD-1

robroe wrote:
I got a stomach ache. Anyone got any heroin? Or like a gun or something?

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
william
.
.


Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 1186

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, i had no idea. i remember him being really political about his jaguars, like he made sig animations with leprechauns throwing buzz stops into trashcans and stuff. Laughing

oh well, seems like everyone else is here, still. this is an amazing community, that it could last this long with this many people still on board. makes me wish i hadn't left.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
william
.
.


Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 1186

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
No confrontation dude, its just a touchy subject and would be on any guitar forum. The current market offers shitloads of mod friendly guitars to cover anyones pocket so when someone buys a vintage guitar that has survived 40+ years of musical change, upgrades and careless ownership it seems wrong to put an end to that.

I dunno, maybe this is why the vintage market is so expensive? Imo it should be loved for what it is. Just go and buy an Epiphone or something.



i am also touchy about certain things, like routing, refinishing, etc. but ive never seen such backlash when the modder in question has taken restoration int o serious consideration.

the current market doesnt offer anything like my MM, that ive played. the new melody makers are balls, by comparison.


i may just go with a steel poled fralin mustang pickup and the tuners. i am still in the early stages, i havent had the guitar very long.


also, my setup is a little on the trebly side, anyway: mxr disto+ into fender hot rod deluxe. i sold most of my pedals recently, i didnt get a chance to play it thru my metal muff for instance.

when i get my telecaster (2004 natural ash american standard, couldnt pass it up at 500 US), i will officially have two bright and twangy bridge guitars, which i dont really need. Id rather this one sound more like an SG junior, hence the fralin steel poles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike
I like EL34s


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 38022
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

william wrote:
Fran wrote:
No confrontation dude, its just a touchy subject and would be on any guitar forum. The current market offers shitloads of mod friendly guitars to cover anyones pocket so when someone buys a vintage guitar that has survived 40+ years of musical change, upgrades and careless ownership it seems wrong to put an end to that.

I dunno, maybe this is why the vintage market is so expensive? Imo it should be loved for what it is. Just go and buy an Epiphone or something.



i am also touchy about certain things, like routing, refinishing, etc. but ive never seen such backlash when the modder in question has taken restoration int o serious consideration.


I think you might be reading into it a little, this is a message board, so the reactions will be exaggerated and also seem more over the top than they really are.

Having said that, since Robroe would love a Peltham Blue Vintage Melody Maker I think he probably is hanging himself right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 19201
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
He was way serious about everything. He told me and Arsecake that buying a house was evil, and that renting a house was stupid, so we should all build our own. On public property.

Man was a complete fruitbat.


Why don't I remember this boy?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 21145
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

william wrote:
like he made sig animations with leprechauns throwing buzz stops into trashcans and stuff. Laughing


Hahah! Thats brilliant, i dont remember that.
I do remember the 'Booo! TOM Squad', i think that was here actually, and the 'Single Coil Alliance' Laughing
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
Stop fucking about and get an SD-1

robroe wrote:
I got a stomach ache. Anyone got any heroin? Or like a gun or something?

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 4614
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

william wrote:
sig animations with leprechauns throwing buzz stops into trashcans


He did have a point there...
_________________

The Sailplanes - London band
Fredric Effects - pedals
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mike
I like EL34s


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 38022
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/search.php?search_author=Ricky

A lot of it was on Jag-Stang, this is just his Shortscale presence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
william
.
.


Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 1186

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:


I think you might be reading into it a little, this is a message board, so the reactions will be exaggerated and also seem more over the top than they really are.

Having said that, since Robroe would love a Peltham Blue Vintage Melody Maker I think he probably is hanging himself right now.


fair enough. i haven't been on any boards (or the internet much) in a really long time so i guess i just gotta get used to the sort of strange behavior Smile Smile

poor robroe. they don't seem to be going all that high right now, for some reason. i think i made a pretty good investment, considering its price for an all original 66 PB gibson. surely he can find one, too.

i think i will put some wide range buckers, a kahler trem, grover locking tuners, a MOT guard, 3 or 4 mini switches (for coil tapping and oophase) and spray the whole thing blue/teal flipflop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaMo
.
.


Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 972
Location: San Francisco,CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

william wrote:

i think i will put some wide range buckers, a kahler trem, grover locking tuners, a MOT guard, 3 or 4 mini switches (for coil tapping and oophase) and spray the whole thing blue/teal flipflop.


rofl
_________________
scandoslav wrote:
i heard these are wank when it comes to metal


RUN AMOK!.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 19201
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
http://www.shortscale.org/forum/search.php?search_author=Ricky

A lot of it was on Jag-Stang, this is just his Shortscale presence.


I remember his avatar, but not much else about him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 21145
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

william wrote:
a kahler trem

No way man, Floyd Rose FTW! You could cut the headstock like the bc rich 'widow' headstock with a jigsaw as well, that would look ace! Laughing
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
Stop fucking about and get an SD-1

robroe wrote:
I got a stomach ache. Anyone got any heroin? Or like a gun or something?

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 631515 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!