ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Got a Tascam 4-Track...now what.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chicago Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Got a Tascam 4-Track...now what. Reply with quote

I've used to recording in Garageband and Adobe Audition, so this will be my first crack at recording on a analog 4-track. I've got the recorder, got a mic and cables, got some tapes, but now what??

Do I need to purchase a mixer to do a final mix down to a computer via USB?

Anyone got some tips on recording with a 4-track?
Reece

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just use an RCA > 3.5mm lead thing straight out my tascam 4 track into my PCs line in. it'd probably be better going through an interface but it seems to work fine.
Chicago Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, not sure if my macbook has rca's...never looked.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it won't but it'll have a small headphone jack input (3.5mm as reece said). you'll need one of these:

Chicago Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stewart wrote:
it won't but it'll have a small headphone jack input (3.5mm as reece said). you'll need one of these

Will this be as good as an interface, or is there really any difference?
avj
A Select Individual

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Mike wrote:
stewart wrote:
it won't but it'll have a small headphone jack input (3.5mm as reece said). you'll need one of these

I'm not entirely sure about headroom, but it will certainly work with the stereo RCA-to-stereo 3.5mm cable. You'll still need to obviously capture the audio into GarageBand or Audition (or Audacity, or whatever), but it's worth giving the cable a shot before laying out some dough for an interface.

I've actually gone down a similar road recently, pulling out my old Fostex 4-track. It's so much easier for me to sit down and press record on a tape machine versus taking the MBP to the desk, plugging in the interface, setting twenty different gain levels to prevent clipping at several stages, oh hey what's this going on here on the internet I should probably check this out, I could probably whack it real quick, ahhhh, what was I doing again, screw it I'm hungry.
Chicago Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avj wrote:
Chicago Mike wrote:
stewart wrote:

I'm not entirely sure about headroom, but it will certainly work with the stereo RCA-to-stereo 3.5mm cable. You'll still need to obviously capture the audio into GarageBand or Audition (or Audacity, or whatever), but it's worth giving the cable a shot before laying out some dough for an interface.

I've actually gone down a similar road recently, pulling out my old Fostex 4-track. It's so much easier for me to sit down and press record on a tape machine versus taking the MBP to the desk, plugging in the interface, setting twenty different gain levels to prevent clipping at several stages, oh hey what's this going on here on the internet I should probably check this out, I could probably whack it real quick, ahhhh, what was I doing again, screw it I'm hungry.

Yah, I want to take a different approach at recording and thought it'd be good to do some garage reocording. All my shit's at the practice space so this is cool b/c I can just strip it down to simple song ideas. Get's out of hand sometimes with everything at my fingertips.
avj
A Select Individual

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Mike wrote:
avj wrote:
Chicago Mike wrote:
stewart wrote:

Yah, I want to take a different approach at recording and thought it'd be good to do some garage reocording. All my shit's at the practice space so this is cool b/c I can just strip it down to simple song ideas. Get's out of hand sometimes with everything at my fingertips.

I didn't want to totally jack the thread here, so I made a new post here that relates to minimalistic setups and recording. I think you'll enjoy the interview; it was a real inspiration to me.
Skip

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ole tascam approach--- never hurts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: